Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates before 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ansett

ansett Report 1 Jan 2010 05:08

I know someone will put me right, my mind has gone blank.
I have been researching most of the day .

I have the information in front of me however I wish to obtain a certificate dated 1833.In the past I have requested certificates with details of page Number Vol and area.after 1837
How do I go about getting a marriage Cert dated 1833?
The details as follows.
Marriage cert.
County Staffs Wolverhampton
Church St Peters date of marriagae 15/7/1833
File number is shown.as 3545the marriage in FreeReg ..Thomas Fergusson and Jane Cottrill
Thank you .....

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 1 Jan 2010 05:41

ansett, there were no birth certs before Sept 1837 when registration began. Before this time you have to go for baptisms, and they are in parish records.

The Church of the Latter Day Saints (CLDS) microfilmed many parish records, but not all by a long shot. If you go to their website, www.familysearch.org, and follow the links through > Search Records, > Advanced Search, > International Genealogical Index (IGI), you may find what you're looking for.

If the parish you want isn't there, then the best idea is to google parish name+records and find out where they might be. This could be County Archives, Local History Assoc, Church, etc. Many Family History Assocs have transcribed &/or microfilmed parish records. You might be able to purchase a cd from them.

Excellent website for information on parishes, records, etc, is www.genuki.org.uk.

Ozi

ansett

ansett Report 1 Jan 2010 05:47

Thanks Ozi...never thought of that.
I will start afresh a bit later, thanks again happy new year.
Ansett.

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Jan 2010 10:02

Do a place search in the library catalog at:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

We get:
Title Parish registers for St. Peter's Church, Wolverhampton, 1603-1876
Authors Church of England. St. Peter's Church (Wolverhampton, Staffordshire) (Main Author)
Notes Microfilm of original records in the Staffordshire Record Office.

Click on the "view film notes" button at top right to see:
Note Location Film
General register (baptisms, marriages, burials), 1603-1683; Baptisms, 1683-1737. FHL BRITISH Film 1040891 Items 7 - 9
Marriages (cont.), 1831-1838. FHL BRITISH Film 1040901
... etc.

So you can see this record at the Staffs Rec Office, or order a copy from them:
http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/sro/

or else you can rent the LDS FHL film to view at an FHC centre - search for one in the centre col of their homepage.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Jan 2010 13:43

did you click on the number in the 1st column when you found it in freereg. that gives you all the details that you would find in a parish register - no fathers named often in this era. No age was completed so presumably both were over 21

Linda

Linda Report 1 Jan 2010 22:15

Have a look at this site.It has loads of St Peters parish registers on here

www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/familyhistory

Linda