Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth cert and adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 1 Jan 2010 16:30

i wonder if anyone could tell me if someone was adopted when they were 2 or 3 years old would they have 2 birth certs? the adoption took place around 1937. would the birth have been re registered under a different name when they were adopted?
any help or advice would be much appreciated
thanks linda

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2010 16:52

yes they would still be registered in the normal way but on adoption they will go onto the Adopted Children Register (ACR)

see

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-adoption.asp

Roy

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 1 Jan 2010 17:27

I read Porkie Pie's reply to this with great excitement and immediately logged onto the website only to find that they only have adoption records post 1927.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get records between 1908 / 1911? Did they even exist at that time?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2010 17:30

adoption before 1927 was an informal arrangement normally between family so their would be no records for adoption before that time

Roy

Carter

Carter Report 1 Jan 2010 17:31

thanks for the info. what relation to the person would you have to be to request a cert that is on the acr? my friend is trying to get a copy of her mothers cert.
thanks

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2010 17:38

As far as i am aware only the adopted person can apply for the adoption cert,
but if you do no her mothers birth name you can find that and apply online using the GRO reference for a copy of her original birth cert

Roy

Carter

Carter Report 1 Jan 2010 18:09

thanks roy my friend doesnt know her mothers birth name only that she was adopted aged 2 was born in kent and moved to lancashire when she was adopted. she never told her daughter that she was adopted till just before she died and by then she was very elderly and confused and reluctantor unable to give any details.. she has her parents marriage cert but it only gives her adopted name and name of her adoptive father. dont really know what to advise her to do so thanks for your help.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2010 18:19

Adoption is not really my subject so i don't no what is the best way forward but don't give up yet,
try a thread on the records board with a title like (adoption records advice wanted) and see what response and advice you get.

Good look

Roy

Carter

Carter Report 1 Jan 2010 18:23

thanks for all your help roy it is very much appreciated
all the best for 2010 x x

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 1 Jan 2010 18:56

Take a look at www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk

It gives answers to frequently asked questions