Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 MOD Staff records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kittykat1210

Kittykat1210 Report 1 Jan 2010 20:14

Hi

Can anyone tell if I can get access to the MOD personal records. I am trying to trace my grandather who worked with them in London during WW2.

I am not sure if this information has been released now, or if it is classified.

Regards

Elaine Lochrie

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Jan 2010 10:54

Records are available under the FOI but you have to prove you are next of kin.

Have a look at this site

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/FOIContact/

It mainly covers records for deceased servicemen but you might also be able to obtain information for those employed as civil servants.

Kittykat1210

Kittykat1210 Report 3 Jan 2010 23:29

Hi

Thanks for this information. Hopefully I will find the information I need, or it points me in the right direction.

Regards

Elaine

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2010 21:46

Trying to remember but I think the archives are down in wales now. However I am not sure how long they kept/keep civilian records for. You might be able to find basic details.

Well it was, but the stores that were here closed, don't know if the archives are still there. But you need to contact the link given in a previous post anyway.
the Defence Stores and Distribution Centre in Llangennech houses the MoD civilian records archive, which contains more than two million personal files