Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I delete mistakes?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dan

Dan Report 2 Jan 2010 01:25

Hi, I'm new to this. I have a made a mistake but it won't let me delete a person with more than one relative. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Dan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jan 2010 01:29

What is the nature of your mistake? If it just their name or other details, you can correct this using Edit option. Otherwise you have to delete some relatives unfortunately. Or cheat and just call them something like "Unknown unknown".
Jan

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 2 Jan 2010 01:31

Yes Dan...... I presume you mean your GR tree? its not very user friendly!!

So as you don`t have to delete everyone joined to the person you`ve entered wrongly, the best thing to do is email GR explaining who you want removing and they will do it from their end.

Remember its been a Bank holiday and GR don`t respond to anything at weekends, so you may have to wait till next week for a reply.

Nicky

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Jan 2010 07:56

The GR tree will not allow you delete a person with more than one relation. The reason for this is that you end up with unattached names and no means of re-attaching them.

What exactly have you done wrong? The most common mistake appears to be where you end up with two partners / spouses instead of one. This is because the GR program automatically adds a blank partner when you add a new parent to a child. If you are unaware of this, you then go and add a partner and end up with two.

The trick is to delete the one you have added i.e. the one without the children attached, and then amend the other to show the correct details. If you have children attached to more than one of the extra parents, then use the Change Parents option first.

Dan

Dan Report 2 Jan 2010 21:57

Thanks for your responses. My problem is that I got over excited and thought the person I had found was a relative. Later research showed I was wrong but I had already added an attachment from the 1901 census. I have changed the names but I now have the wrong attachment linked to them and the attachment is nothing to do with my family at all. Do I need to delete them all and start again?

thanks

Dan

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 2 Jan 2010 23:04

Start with the youngest persons name that is wrong and delete . Keep working back this way and eventually you can delete all the wrong names