Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I need to visit TNA for passport details 1861?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 2 Jan 2010 12:12

Hi All... I am trying to find a passport application made in approx 1861 for Adino Boughton and his family who emigrated to New Zealand from London in Feb 1861, arriving NZ in June 1861. Are records available on line or do I need to visit the TNA?

Happy New Year!

Pauline

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Jan 2010 13:18

I think you need to find out if passports were in use that early.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Jan 2010 13:22

Findmypast has 'register of passport applications
1851-1856, 1858-1862 & 1874-1903'

Free to search but pay to view...The search facility is basic, by first three leters of surname and year range so you really need to see the images.

The only info you will be given is the name, passport number, date issued and, if you are very lucky, an 'observation' but this would be very limited info.

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Jan 2010 13:32

The chances are that they never had a passport.

Compulsory passports as we know them didn't come in until after WW1, prior to that they were few and far between and issue was generally limited to diplomats or others who traveled about on a regular basis.

Pauline

Pauline Report 6 Jan 2010 15:59

Hi All

Many thanks for your replies. I have checked findmypast but had no joy so perhaps Inspector Green is right and one was not required - shame as I was hoping for a photo but never mend eh?

Thanks anyway guys n gals - as usual your knowledge has been really helpful.

Kind Regards

Pauline