Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query re Ancestry subs, has anyone cancelled

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2010 12:25

and then been offered a better deal ?

I have two days to go on my subs' and tempted to renew as I get so much from the site...but it is very expensive and I can't really afford it ( Worldwide) . Decisions! lol

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 2 Jan 2010 12:34

I think a few people have rung ancestry to barter a price and got it cheaper.
give them a buzz and tell them you can't afford the price

susiwong

susiwong Report 2 Jan 2010 12:42

I cancelled my subscription a few days before it was due to automatically renew. After a few weeks thy emailed me asking why. I told them I couldn't afford the subscription. A couple of weeks later they emailed me and offered 20% off.

This is ok if you can manage without ancestry for a few weeks. I was without for about 5 weeks, but I used the time sorting out all my paperwork and certificates, something I never got round to when I was searching, lol

Sue

CatieI

CatieI Report 2 Jan 2010 13:20

Hi Rose. I called Ancestry and asked if they would give me a discount and I was given a 20% reduction there and then.

Catie x

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2010 13:40

Thankyou Simonsez, susiwong, Shelley and Catie... i will give them a call and see what they say :))

Rose x

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jan 2010 14:31

My sub finished and I was still getting access for about 6 weeks afterwards. Then they emailed me with a 20% discount if I returned to them.

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 2 Jan 2010 15:13

I think I will try cancelling when my sub is ready to renew. Hopefully I will be offered a discount. The library has ancestry that you can access for free if there is a period when you are unable to access ancestry.

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2010 15:23

Thanks Heather and 'Why did i start this' ( great name lol)

good thought about the library also if I suddenly have someone I desperately need to look for in between times :)

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 2 Jan 2010 15:28

Don't you think that the mere fact that Ancestry are adverising hard on TV suggests they are feeling the pinch themselves and looking for more members.
At the same time they will be loathe to lose out on any present subscribers who may drift away for a short time perhaps never to return thereby prompting a discount offer if their backs are against the wall!

Would you want to take the chance of losing a loyal customer for the sake of £20?

.............worth a try.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Jan 2010 16:33

Really strange as a couple of weeks ago I decided to upgrade my membership from Essential to Premium.

So I got a refund on the old membership and the new one I seem to have got 13 months for the price of 12

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 2 Jan 2010 16:52

I rang to cancel my subscription a couple of days before it ran out citing the cost for an OAP, expecting them to offer me a reduction as they did last year. I think I got the grumpy man, who simply told me that it would finish on the due day. Access went on the renewal day, and I haven't had any communication since the original confirmation of the cancellation. Oh well, perhaps when all the Christmas bills are paid off, I may ring them again and see if they offer me anything. Alternatively, I just might migrate to FMP.

I have to admit, I feel as if my right hand is missing just now!

Elisabeth

Johnson

Johnson Report 2 Jan 2010 20:24

Hmmm.....I`m trying to get by as a "registered guest" with pay-as-you-go options, which is restrictive.

Site still too expensive for OAPs!

Rosey

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Jan 2010 21:17

There's a 50% off offer through Ancestry.ca right now for Worldwide Ancestry. It's $149.64 which is about 88-90 BP. There's a thread on this page.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jan 2010 21:24

No, we weren't offered a better deal, and had no access immediately on the day of expiry. We then decided to try find my past for a year.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Jan 2010 22:50

My sub ran out a few weeks ago and they sent me a 20% off email 10 days later.

However, I registered with another email account and they offered me 30% on that one!

Back in June there was a 50% email but not everyone gets them. Who knows how their promotion system works?

Think I will renew with that Canadian offer. I've been a bit lost without it.

Portland Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Jan 2010 23:06

Here's the link for the 50% of Worldwide:

http://www.ancestry.ca/lp_globe?o_xid=36942&o_lid=36942&lcid=4105

Portland Rose