Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can onyone recommend -

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 2 Jan 2010 15:34

a reliable ancestry site I could subscribe to, I don't want to waste money on say - a year's subscription on one and then find out it just gives me the 'bare bones' pardon the pun! recommendation would be much appreciated, thanks.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Jan 2010 15:46

Ancestry.co.uk - I wouldn't be without it.

If you have London ancestry there are now lots of parish records online from the LMA. It is by no means the complete set of parish registers but an awful lot of them. Saved me a fortune in marriage certs.

Also, WW1 army records - again not complete as most were destroyed but fabulous.

The list goes on ....

Jill

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 2 Jan 2010 16:07

Some local libraries have free access to Ancestry, so if you are able to get to one of those you can save your money for other sites.

Pam

Pam Report 2 Jan 2010 20:04

Find My Past offering 14 day free trial.

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jan 2010 20:12

Cant beat ancestry.co.uk - especially if you have London rellies as they have added a lot of images for baptisms, marriages and burials on there which would have saved me hundreds of quid had they had them 6 years back. Still lots of stuff I can use there and they are adding more all the time. You do need the premium sub for all the records though.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2010 05:33

ancestry.co.uk wins hands down in my opinion!

sylvia