Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reynolds Mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 2 Jan 2010 21:23

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a brick wall I've reached.

My great grandad was John Reynolds, born in St George's Workhouse in Southwark in 1882. His parents were John Reynolds (a painter/labourer) and Mary Jane Reynolds nee Miller. I can't find ANY evidence of them having married although she referred to herself as a Reynolds, and have been told by family that she may have emigrated to America and had John adopted by a family member. There are also stories of a stepmother type figure who was known as "Mother Moore" who is not remembered fondly.

Does anyone have any tips on next steps? I've tried a rudimentary search of marriages between Reynolds and Moore's in Southwark (they stayed there until well after WW2) but no luck.

By 1907 the father John was dead and I have no idea of the whereabouts of the mother/stepmother. John junior's job was a motor cab driver (he also did a bit of bareknuckle boxing and his nickname was "Pony Moore").

Thanks so much!

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2010 21:33

Don't know if this might be his baptism , it has the DOB added as 19th Oct 1882 , address 1 Queen St Southwark bridge father John is a tailor

EDIT Sorry! just read the occupation is wrong...

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Jan 2010 21:54

Is this him in 1911?

Address:
2 Moat Place Stockwell SW

REYNOLDS, John Head Married M 28 1883 Motor Cab Driver Southwark
REYNOLDS, Mary Edith Wife Married
3 years F 25 1886 Southwark
REYNOLDS, John Son Single M 2 1909 Southwark
REYNOLDS, Mary Elizabeth Daughter Single F 0 (6 MONTHS) 1911 Lambeth

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2010 04:42

Is this your gt grandad's baptism?

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Name: John Reynolds
Record Type: Baptism
Date: 12 May 1884
Father's Name: John Reynolds
Mother's Name: Mary Jane Reynolds
Parish: Saint Matthew, Denmark Hill
Borough: Lambeth
County: Middlesex

from image:-
Record of Baptisms in King's College Hospital
Born:- 19 Oct 1882
Address:- 1 Queen Street, Southwark Bridge Rd
Father's occupation:- Tailor

hmmmmmm .......... occupation is wrong, but everything else fits!

sylvia

Amy

Amy Report 3 Jan 2010 13:27

Hi,

The 1911 census return is him, but the baptisms aren't as I have his birth certificate which states his birth date as 19 July 1882.

Thanks for the help so far guys - am going to quiz my grandad this evening and see if he can give me any other info...