Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

own account 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 3 Jan 2010 17:10

What does "own account at home" mean? It is on 1901 census for someone in my family.
Did it mean he owned his own home or something similar?

Thankyou
Donna

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 3 Jan 2010 17:12

It's to do with his occupation. Shopkeeper - own account - would mean that he ran his own shop.

Jill

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Jan 2010 17:29

Self Employed, in today's terminology.....!

Donna

Donna Report 3 Jan 2010 17:41

Right -That would make sense then. He was a bootmaker,so he probably lived over his shop.

I will google to see if anything interesting comes up.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Donna

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 Jan 2010 19:00

Donna

May just mean he worked from home as a bootmaker.

At that time many a bootmaker just worked from home and any children would help.

Chris

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 3 Jan 2010 21:31

But equally he may have lived above the shop. I have noticed on censuses that they don't name shops. They name pubs which can be useful, but I always wonder if someone lives on a main road or in XXX HIgh Street whether they do love over the business.

Interesting ...

Jill

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jan 2010 01:04

I've seen a couple where someone's occupation is shown as "innkeeper" or "publican" ......... but there is no address or name of pub shown

Now, I know that in olden times anyone who made ale and was selling it, stuck a branch from a tree or shrub over their lintel to show they were selling ale

........... but in 1891?????????????????????

sylvia