Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birmingham shop 1930s (Walton)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2010 21:43

My Great Grandmother's sister, Lilian Maud Powell (b1886) married John (Jack) Walton in Aston (Warwickshire) 1913.

I have been told by an elderly relative that they ran a shop (possibly a wool shop) on Sarehole Road, Birmngham during the 1930s-40s.

Is there anyway I can verify this information? Would the electoral registers for this period/ area be held at Birmingham Central Library? Are ther any on-line trade directories for this period?

Also looking for any iformation on their son, John A Walton (b 1916 Aston/ Birmingham).

Many thanks,
Helen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 3 Jan 2010 21:50

Birmingham RO should have Kelly's Directories which would give details of shops and businesses. Tricky one though as the business could have been called something else and they may have lived elsewhere ... But, even so, worth a try.

Jill

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2010 21:53

Hello Jill, thanks for the reply but, at the risk of sounding stupid- Birmingham RO??

I have been told they also lived at Sarehole Road.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 3 Jan 2010 21:58

Sorry - Record Office. Quite often at the County Council offices.

Jill

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 3 Jan 2010 22:03

Lots and lots of information at:

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum.php - no need to visit RO (records office ) as loads of folks happy to help plus Kelly's on line for to have a look through

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2010 22:11

Thankyou both for the info. Will try the Birmingham History Forum first- thankyou.

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 3 Jan 2010 22:52

I feel sure there was a grocers called Waltons on Rookery Rd in Handsworth, Birmingham in the 40s
Jill

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Jan 2010 23:09

Wow- many thanks StaffordshireCol, fantastic site!!- I was already registered but had forgotten about it :)

Have just received info via the Birmingham History Forum that John Powell and Lilian Maud Powell lived at 267 Sarehole Rd 1939- 1945. This seems to confirm what I've been told- Am hoping someone can find if this was a shop.

Thankyou xx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jan 2010 23:23

Lovely to see stuff about somewhere I know! Have driven along there many times. My Powells lived just arounf the corner in Coldbath Rd. - but too common a name to make much of that!
If you are still stuck in a couple of weeks let me know, I shall be off to the library to do some research.
Jan