Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WORKHOUSE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Jan 2010 10:04

morning all, can anyone tell me if you were in a workhouse when the person died did they have a paupers burial in the 19oos thank you all patricia.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 4 Jan 2010 10:52

Sometimes people died in the workhouse because that was the hospital and did not always mean they were living there.

However if they were paupers and their family or friends were too poor to bury them they had a paupers grave

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jan 2010 10:57

I had a great aunt that had two births in the workhouse infirmary, but was NOT an inmate of the workhouse......

Bob

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Jan 2010 11:24

th ank you both for your answers, i have found a relative on the 1911 cens and it said inmate at union workhouse prior to that he was living with son i wondered if i could find out if he died there.patricia.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 4 Jan 2010 11:30

You would need to get his death cert to determine where he died

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Jan 2010 11:53

thank you quinsgran, i will have to get my brain into gear and start searching patricxia.

Ken

Ken Report 4 Jan 2010 12:02

My mum was born in a workhouse at 43 RENFREW ROAD KENNINGTON SURREY along with her twin brother, but only because it was a hospital.

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Jan 2010 12:11

thanks ken, i will double check to see if it was a hospital as it was in london i hope i will get some results. patricia.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 4 Jan 2010 12:25

try this

www.workhouses.org.uk/ -

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 4 Jan 2010 14:30

My Gt Grandfather died in the workhouse and when I looked at the records he had only been there for one day

The papers for the family grave show him as dying in the workhouse

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Jan 2010 15:00

th,ank you all for your replies i am still trying to work out when he died i will just have to keep plodding on still it keeps the brain cells ticking over.patricia.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 Jan 2010 20:29

Hi Patrica,
Workhouses would no doubt bury inmates at the most convenient and inexpensive place so it’s worth trying the nearest council cemetery.

Some places are very helpful, while unfortunately some cemeteries seem to see it as a cash-cow and charge disproportionate fees.

I enquired about my G Grandfather at the local cemetery. They volunteered the information that he was in an unmarked grave also that his son had also been buried in the same plot a couple of years later and that the son had in fact died in the workhouse something I was quite unaware of. So it would seem cemetery records have more information than just plot numbers.
Regards,
Mayfield

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jan 2010 21:19

The local workhouse often had the only free hospital

.... so local people would use the hospital section when sick or giving birth in preference to being at home or having to pay for a nurse or another hospital.

Barry .... I wonder if possibly your wife's gtgtgrandfather had some sort of serious illness (paralysis, dementia) and that was why he was in the workhouse.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jan 2010 06:46

Hi Barry

Happy New Year to you and your family

It's so frustrating though when you can't find out!

Take care

sylvia

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Jan 2010 10:12

thank you all again for all ytour tips i will get in touch with the council to see if they can help, barry i dont mind you useing thread pleased you got some answers after all thats what we are here for to help each other take care all of you. patricia..