Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors claim a bit of a strech?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Jan 2010 17:00

My ancestor was born in 1794, married in 1814 and had her first child in 1815. The last child I have confirmed as hers was born in 1834. In 1851 my ancestor is 57 yrs old and her husband 59 yrs old. On the census for that year is a 6 year old girl they claim is their daughter but that would have made my ancestor about 50 yrs old when the child was born. I have checked both the transcription and original image and both show the same info. Isn't it more likely this is their grandchild not their child?

Tawny

Kate

Kate Report 4 Jan 2010 17:36

Interesting one - it occurred to me that, perhaps the 50+ year old couple may have had a daughter who had produced the 6 year old and, to save face, the grandparents presented the little girl as their own, the result of an unexpected pregnancy?

If you can find a likely birth registration for that 6 year old, it might be worth getting it just to see who the parents are stated as.

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Jan 2010 17:48

Thank you for replying I will see if I can the childs birth. It is possible the child is their grandchild.

Tawny

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 4 Jan 2010 17:51

I made the same assumption of a couple of my 50 yr olds being the grandparents, and they turned out to be the parents!
charlie Chaplin was 72 when he had a baby (young wife though)
Jill

Annina

Annina Report 4 Jan 2010 19:40

I have seen this poser before,and it reminded me that my mother was perfectly capable of conceiving at 56.

Promise that you won't breath a word, she would kill me!!!

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Jan 2010 19:42

I cannot locate the birth so will leave this problem unsolved for now. It is possible the child is their daughter but without a birth record I cannot prove it one way or the other.

Tawny

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 4 Jan 2010 20:46

My gt grandfather married his pregnant 28 year old cleaner at the age of 55 having five children by the time he was 62 and amazingly he lived until he was 65 years old.
My mum and my aunties were not amused when I dug it up on the census but these things did happen!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jan 2010 21:15

the child could quite well have been a surprise!

women are, and were, quite capable of conceiving upto 2 years after menstruation has ceased.

sylvia

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jan 2010 22:49

My great grandparents had their last child when g grandma was 47 and g grandpa was 62.
According to letters written to my granfather, my gran (20 at the time) was disgusted that they should still be doing 'that'!! LOL