Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Admoms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tox

Tox Report 4 Jan 2010 21:58

Evening everyone, I have googled Admons , I recieved one today and can understand briefly what they are, on the one I recieved has additional writting added in 1935, my ancestor died in 1918 and wondered if any G.R. meber could throw any light on this for me.
Regards
Tox

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2010 22:02

Could the deceased's estate have been very complicated and taken years to sort out?

Kath. x

Tox

Tox Report 4 Jan 2010 22:15

Hi Kathleen, I also thought that, My Gt Uncle Sam married twice, but his children was from his first marriage, on this admon. it says "Further grant D.R.Wakefield 25th Sept. 1935. This could mean "District Registra" but I find that Sams second wife remarried someone called "Harold Wakefield"and wondered if D.R. could be one of Harold Wakefields sons to his first wife. I don't know where to go from here.

Regards
Tox

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 4 Jan 2010 22:33

what is an admom/adnom?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Jan 2010 23:25

Admons are Letters of Administration Julia.

Cannot remember now if you apply for those if there is a Will or if there isn't a Will - but something to do with that anyway!

Jill

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Jan 2010 08:32

Letters of Administration is simply a document authorising a person or persons to act on behalf of the deceased persons estate.

As mentioned it only applies where there is no will. The Administrator(s) are then required to dispose of the estate in accordance with the Laws of Intestacy. The Administrator may or may not be entitled to anything from the estate.

These disposal rules are not set out in the document nor does the document make mention of the beneficiaries.

Where a solicitor is appointed, it is usual for additional Administrators to be appointed jointly, often a member or members of the family who have an interest.

If the estate is complicated then it may take several years to complete. Much may depend on the efficiency of the Administrator. Sometimes an Administrator will die, or decide that they no longer wish to act. In which case a new Administrator may be appointed.

The note you refer to would suggest that an additional grant was indeed issued and I suggest that you attempt to search for this.

Tox

Tox Report 5 Jan 2010 12:00

Dear InspectorGreenpen, thanks for your reply. I have copied out your answer to my queerie, I learn something new every day.
How would I go about serching for Further Grants please, the "Admon" itself looks complicated, but I am willing to learn, the problem is that in 1935, Further grants were given to D.R.Wakefield, (Sam Greenwood, who the Admon is about,) his wife remarried after his death to an HAROLD WAKEFIELD, would this be the DISTRICT REGISTRA OF WAKEFIELD I wonder. It also has two of his children written as SURETIES ????

Also thanks to all the other replies, I have also noted those too.

Regards
Tox

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Jan 2010 12:27

Never heard of this, so thanks Tox for bringing the subject up! Don't want to hijack your thread, but is this worth pursuing in my case? I have an ancestor who had his own business so expected a will, but can't find any reference to one. If so, which website should I go to?
Thanks!
Jan

Tox

Tox Report 5 Jan 2010 12:55

Hi, Brummiejan, this is the first time I have heard of "admons" to. I was sent this one when I sent for the Will of my Ancestor, I didn't know where to go on the internet so I ask on G.R. I have asked the question of where to go next from Inspectorgreenpen, hope he/she will come up with the next step for me to take, fingers crossed. :)

Regards
Tox

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jan 2010 16:43

Admon can be looked for in the same way as looking for a will in the probate indices. The index details will state whether it is a will or an admon. Between 1858 & about 1870 (not sure of this date) Admons did have a separate index but I have usually found them on fiches filed close to the will index. In Lancs the fiche is usually headed (eg) Wills for 1861 and admons 1860. After about 1870 the fiche is headed Wills & Admons for (eg) 1880.

Sometimes they can give little useful information, on others family members & their addresses could be found if the grant was to them.

Jan - sometimes it can be some years after the death that the will is proved and the probate granted, especially if it was complicated or the family just never got round to doing it until perhaps one of the beneficiaries or executor dies. Worth looking at the date of next family death if other searches fail. If it is not a PCC will you will need to go to a record office or major library to look at the indexes as most are not on line. You could try googling your ancestors name. If you have problems looking at the index PM me & I will look next time I go to our record office (after the snow has gone - I live in a village!)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Jan 2010 17:11

Hi Lancashireann. Thanks for the offer of help.
I have looked in the registers in B'ham Central Library for a record of this particular will. I know when the person died, so looked up to about 5 years after. Maybe not enough!
So, are you suggesting I google search this? His name happens to be Thomas Bore - what else might I add please?
Many thanks.
Jan

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jan 2010 17:31

I usually just try the name (both thomas Bore & Bore Thomas) in quotes plus probate or address of place of death - anything I can think of really that might just find something