Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

if a child was adopted will there still be a orign

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2010 22:52

if the youngest child in a family was adopted would the original birth entry still remain? or would it have been removed and replaced with the new parents details and new name.

Michele

Michele Report 4 Jan 2010 23:03

Hi I am adopted and both my original and new details were posted. I dont think they can take it away once it is already on there.

Good Luck

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Jan 2010 04:20

When you search for a persons birth registration who was later adopted. The birth reg ref will have the numbers crossed out and new numbers referring to the adoption are added in the margin

Take a look if you can at any that you know are adopted.

Penny

Penny Report 5 Jan 2010 07:45

I dont agree with Quins Gran. I dont think numbers are crossed out & replaced - I wish they were, it would be easy to send for the details of a new name then.

The original registration remains , the new entry is made on the adopted childrens register, not in the birth indexes. The adoption registers are NOT searchable on line

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Jan 2010 21:20

Minnie.
I think you have misunderstood my meaning . I have adopted family and if you look at their original birth registration on the index it has a new number in the margin and the old one crossed out. Im not talking about an actual certificate but the registration index on GRO
If the new number isnt the adoption number then what is it please?
Only the adopted can access the original birth cert if they are still alive. Not sure about earlier ones or if the person is deceased