Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

freebmd

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 5 Jan 2010 13:43

hi, everyone and a happy new year to you all,

I have posted on here about 4 times in the past and almost all the time the kind heplers mention the free BMD sites to do the searches.. BUT i think i must be a bit thick because I dont seem to be able to get the information from the site.

Could I be doing something wrong??
could someone please give me info as to how to use the site properley???

it would save me having to bother you lovely people all the time and I would get a lot of satifaction from searching myself..

thank you all
jane x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jan 2010 13:45

are you spanning down the home page to search facility

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jan 2010 13:50

Welcome to FreeBMD.

FreeBMD is an ongoing project, the aim of which is to transcribe the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, and to provide free Internet access to the transcribed records. It is a part of the FreeUKGEN family, which also includes FreeCEN (Census data) and FreeREG (Parish Registers). To search the records that have so far been transcribed by FreeBMD click on the Search button below.

The recording of births, marriages and deaths was started in 1837 and is one of the most significant resources for genealogical research. The transcribing of the records is carried out by teams of dedicated volunteers and contains index information for the period 1837-1983. PLEASE NOTE: WE HAVE NOT YET TRANSCRIBED THE WHOLE INDEX. A breakdown by event and year can be viewed here
Merry Christmas
We would like to wish all our transcribers and searchers a very pleasant Christmas. Thank you for all your hard work over the past year which has ensured that FreeBMD continues one of the best genealogy sites on the net.
Please bear with us if we aren't as quick to respond to queries over the holiday period as usual. We aren't ignoring you, just preoccupied digging ourselves out of the snow!

Search >>>> View Images Information Join FreeBMD Transcribers page

The FreeBMD Database was last updated on Fri 1 Jan 2010 and currently contains 178,483,183 distinct records (228,465,149 total records).
On Mon 4 Jan 2010 FreeBMD users did 289,142 searches. (More information)

FreeBMD is kindly sponsored by RootsWeb, Ancestry.co.uk and The Bunker.

You need to click on Search .>>>and then select the type of info wanted , i find its better not to put too much info in for area etc as sometimes what we think we know isnt the actual !!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Jan 2010 13:51

As Shirley says, when you get onto home page click on "search".
You then see all the options you can fill in ,- names, years, etc.
Have you got this far?
Jan

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jan 2010 13:51

Try this link as it will take you to the page you need to do a search

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Joy

Joy Report 5 Jan 2010 14:03

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Welcome to FreeBMD.

FreeBMD is an ongoing project, the aim of which is to transcribe the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, and to provide free Internet access to the transcribed records. It is a part of the FreeUKGEN family, which also includes FreeCEN (Census data) and FreeREG (Parish Registers). To search the records that have so far been transcribed by FreeBMD click on the Search button below.

The recording of births, marriages and deaths was started in 1837 and is one of the most significant resources for genealogical research. The transcribing of the records is carried out by teams of dedicated volunteers and contains index information for the period 1837-1983. PLEASE NOTE: WE HAVE NOT YET TRANSCRIBED THE WHOLE INDEX. A breakdown by event and year can be viewed here

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jan 2010 14:04

PM from Jane
her PC wont let her put a reply on here but yes she is going to the search facilty.
I have replied,
Hi Jane
well FreeBMD is still work in progress so maybe you are looking for info its wasnt transcribed yet .
there are graphs under this heading which will show you where they up too for each type of cert.
Remember too that people often couldnt read or write so some names are spelt differently to what you expect so use the phonetic search facility if you arent getting anything . ALSO often births wrent registered as it wasnt compulsory till 1875 when a fine became the law for non registration. You will only finds Births marriage
and deaths too from 1837 altho there are some pre 1837 in the FRee Reg facility also on the home page.

Shirley

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jan 2010 15:06

Jane has replied by PM as her PC still wont let her reply on the thread,
She thanks everyone for their help