Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 5 Jan 2010 16:39

I am researching the members of the 1891 Southminster Parish Council.....one of the councillors was Naomi Ely.

She is recorded in the 1861 census as being at home with her husband on that night. He is William Ely, a wheelwright.

At the same time I have found her recorded some 15 miles away by road and ferry crossing, in the household of her sister, as a visitor the wife of William Ely, a wheelwright.

!!!!!!!

Aveyronnaise

Aveyronnaise Report 5 Jan 2010 16:44

Maybe they'd had a massive row, she's stormed out and told her sister she was never going back ... but hubby knew that by next morning she'd have calmed down and he didn't want anyone to know she was prone to hissy fits, especially as she nurtured hopes that one day she might have a political career ...?!

I have at least two ancestors in my tree who were in two places at once. Victorian experiments in cloning, perhaps?

K

K Report 5 Jan 2010 16:53

I have found a person listed both at her home with her mother and also in the workhouse where she had given birth.

I think some families just listed people who usually lived there

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Jan 2010 17:44

The forms for censuses were handed out to householders a few days before the census was taken. The enumerator then collected the forms from the literate households and took information verbally from the not so literate. So it's quite likely that a person can be in two places at once - she may have set off to visit her sister a day or two before the census night.

Jill