Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PRE 1837 RECORD OF BIRTH/BAPTISM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 14:32

Hi,
I have reached the stage of my research where I am now wanting to obtain a written detail of an ancestors baptism who was born pre 1837.
His name is William Posnet and from his marriage certificate estimate his year of birth as 1828 ( he was married on19/11/1854 aged 26 yrs).
I have ascertained from the 1851 census that his place of birth is given as Long Sutton Lincolnshire
I would be grateful if someone could explain how I go about getting whatever copy there is recording his birth/batism.
I understand it will be recorded in a Parish register but how do I locate it and obtain a copy
Many thanks
Warren Posnett

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 6 Jan 2010 14:38

a lot of parish registers have been transcribed by the LDS on their site www.family search.org so you may be lucky and find it there

otherwise the local records office will probably have microfilm of the registers

the local family history soc (usually organised by county) - google them - may also have transcribed records which you can buy

K

K Report 6 Jan 2010 14:39

Have you seen this on the IGI on Family Search?

WILLM. POSNETT Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
04 APR 1824 Long Sutton, Lincoln, England

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM POSNETT Family
Mother: HANNAH

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 14:47

Hi
Yes I have seen the IGI entry but believe it to be innacurate William Posnet married Hannah in Novenmer 1854 and they had a son William Edward Posnet b 1858. That particular entry seems at odds to my documented research.
But really I am trying to find out where the written record of his baptism is and is it a case of it just being a one line entry or would it contain parents details. thanks

K

K Report 6 Jan 2010 15:05

It would contain the name of the father, possibly his occupation and residence at the time and probalbly his mother.

Have you discounted the 1824 christining because William's mother had the same christian name as his future wife?

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 15:13

Hi K

Yes to a certain extent I have had to put a big question mark over the IGI entry because of the names being the same it is a question that would be answered if I could get a copy of the original parish registerwhich I am assuming would be in Lincoln somewhere or some centralised office.
Thank for your reply
Warren

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 15:18

Thanks for your reply Helen I will follow up your information and get in touch with the local records office and google the family history society
Warren

K

K Report 6 Jan 2010 15:42

I checked the National Burial Index 2 and it gives a death for a William Posnett infant on 8th April 1924 at St Mary Long Sutton. This record was provided by the Lincolnshire Family History Society

Good Luck Kay

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 15:52

K
Thanks very much for doing that. It is a record I wasn't aware of and your mention of the National Burial Index and Lincolnshire Family History Soceity has given me some good lines to continue my research
warren

Warren

Warren Report 6 Jan 2010 17:44

JoMiWo
Thankyou for your reply
Unfortunately from the marriage certificate I know that the William POSNET whose birth/baptism I am after had a father called William POSNET but thankyou for doing some research you had me quite excited for a minute or two
Warren

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Jan 2010 22:10

Suppose I do a search on the IGI:

Results for: British Isles
Father: William Posnett, Mother: Hannah
Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: c030861

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 3
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. ANNE POSNETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 MAY 1822 Long Sutton, Lincoln, England
[mum=Anne]

2. WILLM. POSNETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 04 APR 1824 Long Sutton, Lincoln, England

3. SARAH ANNE POSNETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 04 MAY 1825 Long Sutton, Lincoln, England

and click on Willm - since these are extracted records, at bottom is:

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C030861 1813 - 1859 0508054 Film 6907884 Film
Sheet: 00

Now click on the Source Call No link (i.e., the 0508054 link) to get where it was extracted from:

Title Bishop's transcripts for Long Sutton, 1561-1859
Authors Church of England. Parish Church of Long Sutton (Lincolnshire) (Main Author)
Notes Microfilm of original records at the Lincolnshire Archives Office, Lincoln.
Long Sutton is also called Sutton-St. Mary.

and click on the "view film notes" button at top right:

Note Location Film
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1561-1813. FHL BRITISH Film 505752
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1813-1859. FHL BRITISH Film 508054

We can also do a place search for "Long Sutton" in the LDS Library catalog where we also find:

Title Parish registers, 1669-1886
Authors Church of England. Parish Church of Long Sutton (Lincolnshire) (Main Author)
Notes Microfilm of original manuscripts in the Lincolnshire Archive Office, Lincoln.
Lincolnshire Archive Office no.: 1/1-1/15

Note Location Film
General registers (baptisms, 1669-1773, marriages, 1670-1754, burials, 1669-1773) Baptisms, burials, 1774-1812 Marriages, 1754-1812 Baptisms, 1813-1825 FHL BRITISH Film 1542152 Item 2
Baptisms, 1825-1871 Marriages, 1813-1886 Burials, 1813-1866 FHL BRITISH Film 1542153
Burials, 1866-1873 FHL BRITISH Film 1542154 Item 1

The BTs are the church's own back-up copy of the parish registers, and are supposed to be identical in content, but there's usually some minor differences. Well, pages get lost, etc, which is why you make backups in the first place, eh.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

So you can see them at Lincoln Archives, or rent an LDS film to view at a local LDS FHC - find one in centre col of their home page.

Warren

Warren Report 7 Jan 2010 13:10

hi mgnv
I have been on the LDS site and followed your detailed instructions. This has been of immense help to my research and I think my next course of action is a visit to my nearest LDS church armed with the information.
Hopefully you pick up this message as I would like to thank you very much for the time you have taken to spoon feed me the information. Best of luck in your own research
Warren

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jan 2010 08:32

Folk helped me when I started - well, what goes around comes around.

Give the LDS FHC a phone call first, eh.

Kath

Kath Report 8 Jan 2010 09:06

Hi Warren,
This is the parish record from FREEREG
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 04 Apr 1824
Forename Willm
Sex M
FatherForename William
MotherForename Hannah
FatherSurname POSNETT