Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 7 Jan 2010 07:13

Now that I have the volume numbers and page numbers from searching records on genes reunited could someone please tell me where I go to find the actual information. Is there a website that has these like BDM in Australia. Sorry if this is a dumb question but Im new to this genealogy stuff.

Many thanks, Yvonne

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Jan 2010 08:09

You can order the paper certs online with a credit card at:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

With the info you've gotten, check off that you have the ref, and then it'll only cost you 7 GBP per cert, postage included (not that that'll help if there's a strike). It costs 10 GBP (I think) without the ref. You're usually better off not specifying any checking info - like say you know the mother's Margaret Smith, and you specify that as a check. If the dad rego'ed her as Maggie Smith, then it won't match, you'll get no b.cert and they'll charge you 3 GBP for their trouble.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Jan 2010 10:55

I always look at the image,to make sure there is no mistranscription.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Jan 2010 03:36

Is there no way of checking that the information given is the actual family you are looking for before you purchase them from GRO? Some of the searches I have done are purely guesses, eg guessing that the marriage is correct because seems like the area or the approx age you would expect them to marry. (Am I making sense?) It would cost me a fortune if it turned out to be the wrong family member.

Thanks again, Yvonne

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 8 Jan 2010 04:09

you can only see some London certs on line, but the rest you have to buy and hope.

The best way is to ask for a search for each name here and see what other people find first. Which will need a lot of cooperation from you , so only ask when you have time to stay on line and answer our questions.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Jan 2010 04:09

Yvonne.

You have to work back from what you know. Your birth cert gives both parents names and fathers occupation. You look for the marriage of your parents assuming they did marry. This marriage cert will give their ages and both fathers names and occupations. You keep working back this way till you get to the 1911 census.

Now you should know if you have Australian certs that they give much more information than English ones. They will also say where people were born on death certs . You do not get this on English certs.

If you order birth or marriage cert you can give a reference check. For instance if you know a persons father was James from the census you use this as a ref check.
This isnt a cheap hobby and if you have a common name to research you can pay for the wrong cert its just one of those things that we all have experienced.
Hope you are not researching Smith

Also be aware of English naming patterns ( google for info). People had large families and its so easy to assume from the census you have the right person a fathers name and occupation sorts them out.

Hope you have success

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Jan 2010 05:05

Thanks for the help, I can see this is going to be costly and very time consuming, but also very very enjoyable. Thank goodness I am researching a quite uncommon surname, Apted.

Yvonne

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Jan 2010 07:03

Yvonne.

Members on GR are only too glad to help you find family on the census etc.

Or if you want a second opinion as to the correct cert to buy. Just ask for any help and you will get it if it can be found