Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth cert content

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 10:21

I have a birth cert for a relation born circa 1899. In the father details section there is nothing apart from a dash ie -----------. However, the registrar has put in the 'Occupation of father' section the number 40 in brackets ie (40) - does anyone know what this refers to ??

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 11:00

Is there anything else in the Occupation column?

A number on a certificate usually refers to a mistake which has been made and the registrar has to enter all mistakes into another journal or log with a number next to it (the number which he also puts on the certificate next to the mistake).

If he has not started to write something in the Occupation column before the number then I don't know what it can mean.

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 11:27

Hi kath,

thanks for the speedy reply - I think you have got it spot on. In
the 'occupation of father' the registrar incorrectly put the details of the mothers occupation, which have a single line through this - to 'delete' the detail. Above this is the (40) and to the very right of all the boxes is the word 'forty' together with the registrars initials.

I was hoping the (40) was going to be some code for something. The mistery deepens to the father and probably will never come to light.

Thanks again

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 11:33

Have you looked up the baptism of the child? Sometimes (but not very often) the name of the father is recorded on the baptism record even though it is not on the birth certificate.

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 12:11

sadly there are no records down the baptism route and also no mention on the 1901/1911 census.

On his marriage cert (1927) his father is listed as 'deceased - army pensioner' and not sure if he would have been away overseas as part of army life, hence the lack of census detail. There was family talk of his father (actual or acquired) being in the army in India but nothing to back this up.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 12:52

I'd be surprised if the child wasn't on the 1901 census. If you'd like to give a name and the name of his mother then I'll have a look for you.

Have you looked at actual parish records for a baptism rather than just the IGI? It's unusual for a child not to be baptised at that time.

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 13:05

Hi Kath,

on the birth certificate is has born 14/7/1899, Name John James, mothers name Edith Summers.

Registration District Strand, subdistrict St Martin in the Fields

I have just looked at the parish baptisms on FindmyPast.co.uk and nowhere else yet.

Thanks for your help

ps whats the IGI ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 13:59

Hi Daniel

The IGI is the International Genealogical Index and is available on www.familysearch.org.

I have to go out right now but I'll look for John James and his mother on the 1901 census when I get back.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 16:32

Sorry - I've not been able to find John James or Edith on the 1901 census.

It's difficult without knowing where Edith was from. If you know this can you post the details. Just because she gave birth in London doesn't mean she came from there. My own grandmother gave birth in London in 1911 - but only because she was disowned by her family and she moved away from her home in Lincolnshire to give birth.

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 16:38

kath,

thanks for your help. Sadly I have no more info other than that already mentioned.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 16:45

I wouldn't take too much notice of a deceased father mentioned on an illegitimate child's marriage certificate.

Quite a lot of illegitimate children "made up" a deceased father so as not to lose face in front of the "in-laws".

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jan 2010 17:27

Maybe I will never find out - but there's plenty of other family to seek out. He seemed to provide the greatest challange !