Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electorial Register,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

trebor

trebor Report 7 Jan 2010 12:56

Please .Would there have been a Electorial Reg for 1899 . If so when was it taken .Thank You . Robert

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Jan 2010 13:16

The answer is yes, but of limited use to us because:

"They (electoral rolls) are found from the mid-19th century onwards in increasing numbers and increasing bulk: their size grew rapidly as the franchise was widened. After 1885 most adult males are likely to be included, from the 1890s some women (who could vote in local elections but not parliamentary ones) and from 1918 most women over 30."

(From BBC History site).

Do you have a specific reason for wanting to know this? Census returns are normally the way to get family info.

Jan

trebor

trebor Report 7 Jan 2010 13:30

Jan, I have , I have this all over the place . My Fa/ was bn 1899 . In a bakehouse in Main ST ,Barsby ,Leic . I think there was 2 pubs and 2 shops , I want to fined which was the bakehouse and try and get a photo ,Robert

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Jan 2010 13:54

I would be inclined to contact the relevant family history group, or the library where archives are stored.
I've tried a google search and found my way to the Kelly's directory for Leics - go to this page and have a look.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/d.asp

Jan

trebor

trebor Report 7 Jan 2010 14:10

Thank,s for your time .Jan . Robert

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Jan 2010 14:11

That's fine - be prepared for a long haul, Barsby is page 533 I think!!
Jan