Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CLIPBOARD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 7 Jan 2010 13:25

Could someone please explain to me how the clipboard works? I have tried following the instructions but nothing happens, I am at a complete loss.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Jan 2010 13:27

What are you trying to do??

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 7 Jan 2010 13:29

Hello Astra
I am trying to copy notes over from one relation to another.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Jan 2010 13:31

What format are the notes in. Are they in Word or Notepad etc?? or are they notes on your tree?

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 7 Jan 2010 13:35

Oh!
I am refering to the clipboard on Gr under the edit option.

Yes! sorry on my tree

Alan

Alan Report 7 Jan 2010 13:37

The Windows clipboard is used to temporarily store stuff. This "stuff" can come in the form of just about anything. Images, files, documents, etc.—they can all be placed on the clipboard. Once something has been copied to the clipboard it can be pasted into another location.

The clipboard isn't a program you can actually access and play with. It's a built-in windows component that works transparently. When you copy or cut, the info is put onto this clipboard. When you paste, the information that's on the clipboard is put into whatever it is you're working on.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Jan 2010 13:39

Generally all you need do is...
Hold your cursor over the first letter of the fist word you want to copy until it changes from an arrow to a straight line. The hold down the left mouse button and drag it down to the bottom of what you want to copy. This should highlight the notes. If it is all on the same page go to Edit/Select all and it will highlight it for you. Then press the right mouse button and click copy. This will hold the image in your clipboard. Go to where you want to transfer the info to and Right Click your mouse and Paste.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 7 Jan 2010 13:42

Thank you Astra i'll try that.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 7 Jan 2010 13:52

Thank you Alan

Simon

Simon Report 8 Jan 2010 18:11

Lolly,

The Clipboard on GR is useful for copying whole 'person' records. For example, if you've added the details of somebody as a sibling then realise they should have been added as a child (as I've managed to do more than once!). You can simply go to the 'Edit Tools', then click 'Copy', then open the new 'Add Child', then click 'Paste' and the dates and places info will be pasted into the new location. Save it, then go back and click Edit Tools again, and delete the original record.

BUT... doing this does NOT copy anything from the Notes field. To copy the Notes, you have to click somewhere (anywhere) in the notes field, click Ctrl and A (together) to select everything in the field, then click Ctrl and C to Copy everything.

Then go to your new record and click in the empty Notes field and click Ctrl and V and your info will be pasted into the Notes box.

To return to the Clipboard... you will find if you are Copying and Pasting more than 5 or 6 people, you will get a message to say the Clipboard is full, in which case you need to go to Edit Tools, click on the Clipboard, then click 'Clear list' to enable you to refill it one by one.

I hope this makes sense!

Simon

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 8 Jan 2010 22:04

Colin
Yes thank you it does make perfect sense, but how you figure it all out baffles me!! I am going to try that now,
Thanks again
Lolly

Yes it worked!! but I have to admit the first few attempts erased everything. now I've mastered it, it will save a lot of time. your good !!