Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karan

Karan Report 7 Jan 2010 15:07

It seems very likely that I have found a half sister - how do I go about contacting her without causing any anguish, as she probably knows nothing about my existance?

Anyone have any tips please?
Ann

Julie

Julie Report 7 Jan 2010 15:28

Do you have an address for her that you could send a letter

Good Luck x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 7 Jan 2010 16:11

Hi Karan,

I would suggest that you tread very carefully.

Someone else asked a similar question a while back and got some very good advice, I just wish I could find it so that you could read it. If I remember correctly, it was suggested that sending a letter saying you are researching your family history, giving a few details. Just don't give too much away so that she realises you are her half sister, could be too much of a shock. You could then ask if they have any knowledge of the people you have come across. I think it was also suggested that a sae should be included.

Good luck, don't rush into sending the letter, think very carefully about your wording first.

Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2010 16:41

I agree with Chris. Think carefully about what you say at first.

I'd suggest that you just say you are researching your family tree and think you may be related in some way. You could mention a grandparent or great-grandparent that you have in common (rather than mentioning that you think you have a parent in common). Give a few dates and places and enclose a stamped addressed envelope. Keep your letter quite informal and don't push for too much detail until you get the first reply and take it from there.

Kath. x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 7 Jan 2010 17:31

Well explained Kath.

Chris

carrieann

carrieann Report 8 Jan 2010 12:17

There's this thread that might be helpful, could be the one Chris meant:

www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=815114

Very best of luck anyway