Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Jan 2010 10:41

Hi
I have quite an extensive tree on Ancestry. I have been painstakingly transferring it to my Family Tree Maker.

I know you can do a Gedcom transfer from GR to Ancestry and vice versa. I can' t see how to do it from Ancestry to Family Tree Maker though.
Not too clued up on Computers sorry.

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Jan 2010 12:40

Thank you so much for replying Jonesey.

I know I am being thick but I cannot find the place on Ancestry that allows me to download my tree.

On previous threads I notice that they say to click on "file" in the blue bar but I cannot find a file tab to click on.

I will go and have another try.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jan 2010 12:57

Bring your tree up on screen Click on Tree Settings, (near middle of page a couple of lines from the top.

Then, on the right hand side you will see a button "Export Tree"

Foggy

Foggy Report 8 Jan 2010 13:55

If you have FTM2010 you can import your tree from Ancestry complete with all pictures and documents directly into FTM2010, very simple task.
just follow instructions on your FTM program.

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Jan 2010 16:45

Thank you InspectorGreenPen

I have done it!!

I followed your instructions and it even recognised that I had FTM installed. It opened it and all my tree is now on there!

I am going to look to see if I have got the photos etc too. My FTM is an older one so maybe not?

Thanks again.

Pat