Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracking the LITTLE family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

heatherg

heatherg Report 8 Jan 2010 13:38

has anyone any good ideas about how toshow a families movements My LITTLE family starts off in Dumfriesshire with 9 children. They move out to Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, Dunbarton,Edinburgh, Glasgow etc.
Is there a clever way I could show this?

Kate

Kate Report 8 Jan 2010 13:54

I thought about doing that, once, Heather - never actually did it, but perhaps you could get an outline of a map or scan one onto the computer then add pinpoints and lines or text to show which direction people were born in, where they married, where they lived, then have lines coming from there to show where the children moved to etc?

heatherg

heatherg Report 8 Jan 2010 13:58

I did try that Kate but I never found a suitable map.
heather

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2010 17:35

How about using Excel or similar spreadsheet.

Label the columns with the place names and put the family names down the side with appropriate dates of when they lived there in the right columns

heatherg

heatherg Report 2 Mar 2010 13:36

Sorry I haven't been here for a while Ann. I was tracking the LITTLEs in the USA
A very good idea and now my sub to Ancestry is finished I can get down to it.
Heather

Jill

Jill Report 2 Mar 2010 17:30

my surname is little through marriage, we live in memphis usa although my father inlaw family are from jackson tn little is a very popular name in the deepsouth and in tn

heatherg

heatherg Report 10 Mar 2010 16:12

Hello Jill
yes I've seen the records for the LITTLEs in the south but they don't seem to be connected with mine. They are in Washington.
Heather