Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Court Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

motherhen

motherhen Report 8 Jan 2010 13:43

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I could find out about a court case about an incident that happened in Northern Ireland. My relative was involved in an argument and threw the other person into the River Erne which is near Beleek,County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.

I have tried the National Library of Ireland,PRONI and the National Archives of both Ireland and at Kew.
Can anyone tell me the name of the local newspaper for the Beleek area of County Fermanagh so I could try them.

My relative was from Liverpool area but had this piece of land on the River Erne where he liked to fish. The manager of the local hydro electric company I think accused him of trespassing on their land and a big court case ensued but I don't know if this case was in Ireland or England.

Any help or advice would be very welcome as I am desperate to find out the details of the case.

Many thanks

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 8 Jan 2010 18:31

Have you tried looking at the archives for Irish newpapers which may contain a report about the incident

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Jan 2010 19:00

motherhen..Any date for the incident...?

motherhen

motherhen Report 8 Jan 2010 22:14

Hi Bren and Erin

Sorry I haven't been around for your replies earlier.

Bren from Oldham

- yes I have tried the National Archives too and they told me to contact PRONI but I didn't actually ask them about newspapers. Or did you mean the archives for newspapers such as the Irish times? In that case I did look at their site but couldn't find anything relevant.

ErinGoBragh1916

-This happened I think between 1945-1955- the story comes from another relative who knew this ancestor but that is as close as I can get for a date. It was apparently quite a big court case.

Thank you very much for answering my post- I shall definitely try the newspaper archives again.

Do either of you know what is the local newspaper for Beleek by any chance?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 Jan 2010 08:08

Motherhen...
Fermanagh Herald ...or if the case was heard in NI then the Belfast Telegragh would probably be your best bet.

motherhen

motherhen Report 9 Jan 2010 09:25

ErinGoBragh1916

Thank you very much for that info. That will give me something to work on!