Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 8 Jan 2010 22:50

I'm looking for a good family tree programme and family tree maker has been recommended. Just had a look on the website and its roughly $40 (dollars). it looks as though it works with Ancestory but not GR. Don't really want to be paying for subscription to Ancestory as well. Does this sound like a good buy or are there others anybody would recommend. Are there any free ones that would be worth considering. Thanks for any help....Chris

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2010 22:57

I dont think there's any tree program that works independently with GR as genes has its own tree program ,I recommend FTM as a stand alone program that gives lots of different reports and you can download your genes tree to it and visa versa. FTM is in conjunction with Ancestry BUT you don,t have to have Ancestry subs for it although most will give you a free subs to Ancestry for 3-6months depending which version you buy

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 9 Jan 2010 09:22

thanks for the reply Shirley, I was wondering if you could use the Genes Reunited tree with the Family Tree Maker. so that's good to know. I've just googled FTM and a lot of free shareware versions with key gen has come up. Don't know anything about shareware. Has anybody used these versions do you know and are they ok to use?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jan 2010 10:25

Hi I use FTM version 2006 although there is a 2010 version now available.I am not aware of shareware.
You can download your genes tree in a file to your PC and then upload it into FTM ,similarly you can download you FTM tree to genes but it will overide the tree on genes so make sure you have all the info on FTM before you transfer

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 9 Jan 2010 10:40

thanks slartibartfast and Shirley for your replies.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 9 Jan 2010 13:51

Hi Christine,

There are many Family tree programs out there all offering their own specific ways of dealing with your genealogical data.
It's all down to individual preferences as to how each program deals with data input, family layouts, printing facilities, photographs etc.
These free programs will be fine to begin with allowing more powerful upgrades to be purchased later if required.

Here's a few free Family Tree programs from the bigger players.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials

Once you have assembled your tree with one of these programs, you are quite free to save ( export ) a .ged file or GEDCOM from that tree program and insert ( import ) that file into another tree program.
The basic information would be the same with the only difference being the way other family tree programs handle photographs etc.

Not at all sure about shareware for trees as a Google search brought up several sites which seemed to offer more advertising than genealogical information and some with AVG and Norton warnings.
Just be very wary of downloading programs from lesser known sites as you may just end up with more than a family tree program................

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 9 Jan 2010 15:35

Thanks Frank for replying and your advice. Think your right about the downloads...will stay clear of the shareware.