Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

disha

disha Report 9 Jan 2010 22:30

can i obtain a cert if i am not clear if its my relative

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jan 2010 22:57

You can apply for any death cert but they will charge you £7.00 for it.

You can put checking data on - although on a death cert it is difficult to know what you could use for that as you may not know who registered the death or was present at the death.

If it's within the last 50 years you may need to know the actual date of death by the way.

It might be easier to post a thread giving details of what you know about the person in question so that others can see if they can find out anything else. If everyone comes to the same conclusion that you've come to then it's a fair chance you've found the right one. However, others might find further information for you - perhaps a better fit. Worth a try.

Jill

disha

disha Report 9 Jan 2010 23:19

thanks jill
I've had threads posted since 2008 but cant find any thing else , its a kind of hit and hope situation . I cant track my relatives death so have been looking at the possibility of her having remarried and died under a different surname , i have found one name that shared a surnamebut little else in common.
this is useful though as it may save me a lot of wasted time and money
:)

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 9 Jan 2010 23:21

so what are the details you know about her?

disha

disha Report 9 Jan 2010 23:33

she is christina thompson wilson born 1884/5 , she married my great grandfather william james hewitt in 1906 , she lived in hebburn (gateshead) until 1912, her last known address was lorraine house in newburn hall with william and her son my grandfather norman , I have traced her family the wilsons , but there is no trace of her after 1912. my grandfather always maintaned he was adopted , having contacted a surviving wilson we have found that the adoption was probably not legal and infact norman was likely the son of christinas brother , but given to christina and william to bring up as their own. at the time of normans marriage to my grandmother his father was deceased and no one has ever spoken of christina .
sharon )

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 Jan 2010 00:14

James William Hewitt born 18 May 1881 died in Northumberland West in 1976 Vol 1 Page 2758 would it help if you obtained his death certificate and maybe through the informant you could find out more information on his wife Christina., The electoral register will give you details of who was living at the address where he died or where the informant lived. I have found a lot of intormation by tracing the informant or their descendants named on a death certificate

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 Jan 2010 00:22

There is a Christine Hewitt who married a George A Weighman in Dec 1923 in Newcastle could this be a new marriage, it may help to buy the marriage cert.

disha

disha Report 10 Jan 2010 00:30

thanks lesley
my ggrandfather was william james not james william and he died before 1935 so unfortunately this is not him, certificate , I am not sure when he died but when I do I will check it out ,
the marriage is interesting , the only christina hewitt marriage I could find was to an Awad , so it opens things up a little more,
is there any way of knowing if her maiden name was hewitt or if this was possibly a first marriage name ,
:)

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 Jan 2010 08:40

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if this is a first marriage or not without buying the cert, that may give you a lot of information even the witness names can be of interest so I suggest you do that, sometimes they the certificates are not the right one and it can be trial and error but at least that will give you more to investigate..

Astra

Astra Report 10 Jan 2010 09:02

1911 for info. Is it possible that Christina returned to Scotland?

HEWITT, Elizabeth Head In Law Widow F 56 1855 Carlisle VIEW
HEWITT, Elizabeth Daughter Single F 38 1873 Carlisle VIEW
TINDLE, Thomas Relative Single M 29 1882 Coal Miner Rollyway Man Newburn VIEW
KENNEDY, William Relative Single M 20 1891 Metal Moulder Blaydon VIEW
KENNEDY, Isabella Relative Single F 15 1896 Blaydon VIEW
THORNTON, Edward Boarder Single M 32 1879 Coal Miner Hewer Scotswood VIEW
WALKER, William Boarder Single M 41 1870 Engineman Walker VIEW
HEWITT, William James Head Married M 27 1884 Coal Miner Stoneman Carlisle VIEW
HEWITT, Christina Wife Married
5 years F 26 1885 Edinburgh VIEW
HEWITT, Norman Son Single M 0 (9 MONTHS) 1911 Hebburn VIEW

Registration District:
Castle Ward Sub District:
Newburn EnumerationDistrict:
7 Parish:
Newburn Hall

Address:
2 Loraine House Lemington O/t

disha

disha Report 10 Jan 2010 11:23

thank you ladies
with the marriage cert it kind of brings me back to my original question , will I be able to get it if its not clear thatits my relative , I thought you could only obtain certs if you were related

astra - this is useful , I have quite a bit of this info , however isabella is on there as a relative - christina has a sister isobella but her name would have been wilson not kennedy , so this isnew
your responses are much appreciated

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Jan 2010 11:36

Yes - you can apply for any cert you want. The only restrictions are for the last 50 years. Other than that ... anyone at anytime.

Jill

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jan 2010 20:52

see also

www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1197539