Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family on 1911 made me giggle.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 9 Jan 2010 23:21

One of my families on the 1911 census made me giggle. Theyve practically written an essay on the census sheet, taking great pains to explain where each person was baptised and when, along with the date of birth, also naming deceased people and stating the exact date they died! Then they go on to explain who the parents of the parents are, even tho they didnt live at the same address! Under nearly every sentence is another sentence explaining themselves more thoroughly. Wish they were all like this!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Jan 2010 23:39

Perhaps they knew that one day all that information would be useful to someone......

Oh for a few more entries like that.

Gwyn

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 9 Jan 2010 23:51

Wish i could find one like that on my VERY BIG brick wall i have.

Hazelx

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Jan 2010 00:25

One chap on my son's father's side had included all the children - including the deceased ones which included their ages at death. (The enumerator had crossed all of these out with his purple pen but I can still read all the names.) Dad had also included his married daughter - who showed up on the census again with her husband.

Nothing was completed in the "how many years married" box so the enumerator had added in a guesstimate based on the age of the eldest surviving child plus one year. I have yet to find a marriage and believe that this couple lived together. They would have been together for about 40 years by 1911. His guess is wildly inaccurate as the eldest child if she had survived would have added about 3 years to his guess.

If you look just at the transcript of course the children don't all show and the number of years married shows in the form - you only see the true picture from the image.

Did made me smile though.

Jill

Ian

Ian Report 10 Jan 2010 00:26

HI Romany*, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but with the 1911 census views, did you subscribe, or pay perview. I've checked out the website, and can't find whether if I subscribed for six ir 12 months, that'll let me look at an indefinite number of transcripts/originals, or not.

(Maybe I'm a bit daft, too, but it seems to keep mentioning credits. I'd have thought a subscription would be unlimited)

Thanks!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jan 2010 08:22

Ian, I've just subscribed. You are allowed something like 5000 searches a month I think - and I believe they tell you if you are getting close.
There is a 15% off promotion ending today - when you get to the page where you choose which package there is a promotional box to the left - just put "sprouts" in it!!
Jan

RStar

RStar Report 10 Jan 2010 17:11

Hi all. Ian, Ive subscribed, theres a discount code that I put on the records and chat boards, it gives you 6 months of the 1911 census for £33. Im fed up of paying pay-by-view and lining their pockets to be honest. I thought a subscription WAS unlimited, didnt know there was a limit, but 5000 a month is ok for me. Mrs grumpy, I bet youre right, that they just lived together, or they'd most likely have entered the years they were married for. Ive had a few where they put deceased childens names then cross them out, I know it sounds awful but its good to have them on the tree - then I feel guilty as hell saying that...but you know what I mean, putting the guilt to one side in the name of genealogy for a minute.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Jan 2010 17:19

I think it's lovely to have their names Romany ... but for this sort of info the poor little mites would not be remembered at all ...

Jill

Ian

Ian Report 11 Jan 2010 13:45

Thanks, Romany, and Jan- I did subscribe, and got the discount too (thanks)

However when I went to search, and look at the results, it still wants me to pay per view...though it recognises us as having subscribed for 6 months to the 1911 census.

I can't figure that out.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Jan 2010 09:30

Ian, that isn't right. When you go on 1911 site, I assume you are clicking on Findmypast" bottom left? Then "sign in" top right? This should enable you to sign in (obviously!) then you can view whatever you want. If this persist I would get in touch with them.
Jan

RStar

RStar Report 12 Jan 2010 10:50

Ian, NOOOO dont pay per view ! I know what you mean but youre not following the right link. You need this http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1911census.jsp
If that doesnt work, you see on the main site it says 'subscribe to find my past' or 'subscribe to the 1911 census', well thats the link you need to click on. It'll take you there and you click 'sign in' at the top right. Save it to your favourites when you get on the right bit. I think when you google '1911 census' there are two top results that come up. The second one has the link to click on 'subscribe'. Trial and error, but its a different page to the one youre looking at. If youve had the site up for a while not being used, say 30 mins, you have to sigh in again but this is just clicking the sign in square, you dont have to enter anything.