Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births registered as Male / Female

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 11 Jan 2010 13:21

Does a registered birth without a first name i.e. as Male or Female Smith necessarily mean that the child died soon after birth? I am looking for a birth in around 1841 and there are a couple of possibles with Female rather than a first name, but didn't want to go to the expense of ordering a cert if this is likely to be child that later died.

I appreciate birth registration was not compulsory until mid 1870s and so birth may not have been registered.

Thank you

Helen

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 11 Jan 2010 13:27

No it doesn't, it simply means that the parents had not yet named the child when they registered it. I can't remember how exactly, offhand, but registrations are then corrected when a name is chosed and registered, and I think that the certificates are then both under the same ordering code. Someone with more precise knowledge will explain better, I'm sure.

Kate x

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Jan 2010 13:38

the registration was not always corrected either. My gt grandfather's just says Male & there is no correction and obviously he did not die in infancy! I think if the name was added afterwards it is put in column 10 on the certificate.

If you are certain of the father or mothers name & correct spelling you could put that as a checking point & if wrong it will only cost £3 instead of £7.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 11 Jan 2010 13:41

thank you both, think I will have to order both with mother's first name as checking point (have her on 2 censuses with this child so that seems to be a constant), sadly surname has been spelled so many different ways on so many different records that I can't use that for ref checking, and only evidence I have of father's name is her marriage cert (but clearly this could be a fib), he is not on any census with family

thanks again

Helen