Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger lists to Canada-what info do we see?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 11 Jan 2010 21:59

After recently finding out today that my gg grandfather John Trewhella never died at sea like my grandma always believed but that he emigrated to Canada and apprently married twice. I've decided that i would like to find out when he left the UK. As ive found out this information through a 3rd party and im currently waiting to see the certs and canadian census records, i was wondering if there is passenger lists to canada. Not only that but if there is what information can we obtain from these lists?
Any information would be very much appreciated
kind regards
Catherine

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 11 Jan 2010 22:08

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about John Trewhella
Name: John Trewhella
Date of Arrival: 12 Aug 1909
Vessel: Victorian
Search Ship Database: View the 'Victorian' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4762

View original image

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jan 2010 22:08

This very probably is NOT your grandfather, but I'm using as an example of what you might find ......... this is the guy returning to the UK from New York

Poeple sailing to Canada could equally well go to an American port such as New York, as to Halifax or Montreal

Birth Date: abt 1898
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 2 Jun 1932
Port of Arrival: Plymouth, England
Ship Name: President Roosevelt
Search Ship Database: View the 'President Roosevelt' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: United States Lines
Official Number: 221901

from the actual image:-

Embarked:- New York
Disembraked:- Plymouth
Proposed Address in the UK:- 29 Camberwell Street, Penzance, Cornwall
Permanent Residence: USA

That's about it

..................... if a family travelled together, you might get their names.

or you might get a lot less!

sylvia

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 11 Jan 2010 22:09

??

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956 about John Trewhella
Arrival Date: Aug 1909
Birth Date: abt 1891
Birth Country: Australia
Race/Nationality: English

Port of Arrival: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Catherine

Catherine Report 11 Jan 2010 22:27

Lindsey and Sylvia
Thank you both so much, Lindsey the first piece of information aboutJohn Trewhella could very well be him as his marriage cert is from liverpool. The only bit that may not match with the information we have already is the date. The two pieces of information that you have given me arent my g.g grandfather but thank you for showing me as its given me an idea of the information that is out there. I believe that John must have left the UK between 1888 and 1891 as he is not on any 1891 census but he was married and became a father in 1888. His wife and daughter remained in wales until their deaths.
Thank you again
Regards
Catherine