Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Jan 2010 11:03

If after you've given the GRO - the year, the quater, the volume number and the page no, for the death cert you need. They say there is no trace of the person on that reference. What would be the reason for that.

Sheila

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 12 Jan 2010 11:12

Make sure you look at the original index not just the transcript on freebmd / ancestry etc as mistakes do happen.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jan 2010 11:55

Are you certain that on the online form you have ticked the "deaths" and not births. I know I've seen other people who have done this by mistake.

Kath. x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Jan 2010 11:58

Kathleen is right - you have to be spot on. I slipped up once by being 1 digit out with ref. number! Check and check again. Really easy to make a mistake.
Jan

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Jan 2010 13:07

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have double checked my information and it is correct and I definately asked for a death cert, as the email I was sent saying they couldn't find the person I was asking for mentions death cert.
So my step will have to be getting in touch with them direct.

Sheila

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Jan 2010 13:56

I see that you have checked your ref info.
but they ARE strict if what YOU provide doesnt match what THEY have......No certificate

I just recently boo-boo-ed for a Marriage cert.
I gave correctly,the grooms name AND the brides name...plus the correct references.......... however I wrote (middle) name as John.......should've been James....

Boom Boom.............NO cert!!

Bob

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 12 Jan 2010 14:15

Do you want to put the person's details on here and some one will check the registration to see if it tallies with what you have?

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Jan 2010 14:21

The person I am looking for is Ellen Edith Page died sometime after 1930 in Suffolk/Essex. The one I found was one who died in 1934 - death registered in Colchester. I was just sending for the cert to comfirm that this was the Ellen Page in my tree.

Sheila

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 12 Jan 2010 15:17

So....Ancestry/FreeBMD have

Name: Ellen E Page
Death Registration Month/Year: 1934
Age at death (estimated): 29
Registration district: Colchester
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 851

Image reads the same!

So if you requested a cert for Ellen Edith Page and they have Ellen E(somethingelse) Page...They won't send the cert.

Chris

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Jan 2010 16:28

Thanks Chris - That is the reference I used to get the cert I put the name down as Ellen Page without including the E so I don't know if that made any difference as to why they could find that person on that ref

Sheila

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 12 Jan 2010 16:29

another reason to use local register offices if you can. All the ones I have used have been very helpful and searched free, only charging if they find the record I want. GRO are raking in a fortune!

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 12 Jan 2010 16:30

There are a few Ellen Pages on FreeBMD but your one is only 29 years old - presumably this age fits in with the information you have?

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Jan 2010 16:34

Yes that age fits with my Ellen Page as she was born in 1905

Sheila