Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriages prior to 1835

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jan 2010 15:14

Does anyone know if you can search marriages prior to 1835 on line anywhere? I am after Joseph Dyson marriage to Maria Law in 1827.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jan 2010 09:04

I know the date of the marriage thanks - I meant can you get a certificate from anywhere?

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 13 Jan 2010 09:17

You wont get a certificate as it is prior to 1837. I have marriage index's for Bristol 1754 - 1837 but no mother or father is noted on them. Sometimes get lucky and abode and grooms occupation is listed. You could try the records office.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 13 Jan 2010 09:17

Certificates didn't start until Sept Qtr 1837.

You may be able to get a copy of the entry from the parish registers. Details will say if the people marrying were from that parish and witness names.

Christine

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jan 2010 10:32

That's really useful - thanks. If anyone is going, could you do a look up for me to see if there is any more information?
Thanks

Alison

Alison Report 13 Jan 2010 11:30

This page will give you the details of family history centres near you. When you find a centre near you, you can ring the number and order in the parish record for a nominal fee. They will then order in the fiche where you can view the original.

https://www.lds.org.uk/family_history_search.php?type=FHC

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jan 2010 16:11

Really useful - thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Jan 2010 17:48

The marriage has been extracted on the IGI. You can find it on-line at

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

07 MAY 1827 Rawmarsh, Yorkshire, England

Batch No M106821