Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth registrations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueJ

SueJ Report 12 Jan 2010 23:46

Can anyone tell me why there would be 2 birth records exactly the same but with differing Surnames ? Would they be one & the same child - the following is just an example:
Fanny Adams (mothers maiden name Smith) 1q 1966 Ourgate Vol. 7b Page 100
Fanny Bloggs (mothers maiden name Smith) 1q 1966 Ourgate Vol. 7b Page 100

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Jan 2010 23:59

Duplicate thread - also on TTF

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jan 2010 00:00

Well if the child was illegitimate but both parents acknowledge they were the parents (especially the dad) then the cert will have the child's name with both parents names on it under the same reg ref.
I have two grt grandchildren born to unmarried mums where my grandson attended the reg and put his name as the dad so if you search under either surname you get the same birth ref and ordering under either surname gets the one cert.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jan 2010 00:02

deleted the last two posts as genes is so slow it triple posted!!

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Jan 2010 00:22

I found my mothers birth in 1919 under 2 names.Both the reg no were the same. Her parents didnt marry till she was 14 months old something she never told me.

Your example is strange because usually the mothers surname would be the same as one of the surnames the child is registered in

GeordieLad

GeordieLad Report 13 Jan 2010 01:43

Perhaps there were two suitors claiming to be the father ?

For the record, 'Sweet' Fanny Adams :
Births: Jun1859 ADAMS Fanny Alton 2c 135

SueJ

SueJ Report 13 Jan 2010 21:52

A big thank you to all that replied to my query it has helped a lot - just for the record ........the mothers maiden name was SMITH & she had been married before to a Mr ADAMS - she divorced him & married Mr BLOGGS after the childs birth - thanks to your response it all makes sense now.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Jan 2010 22:10

SueJ.
I thought you were joking talking about Fanny Adams and Fanny Bloggs

Did you check out the" Sweet" Fanny Adams story. Very sad.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2010 23:40

Hi GeordieLad,
Alton is the place Fanny Adams was born and murdered - not a surname.

GeordieLad

GeordieLad Report 14 Jan 2010 00:04

Huh ? Where did I claim that Alton was the poor girl's surname ?

I'm stunned - truly stunned - that anyone should think I might mistake Alton for the surname. Especially with ADAMS being in capitals and Alton being followed by the registration volume and page numbers.

I'm still reeling - absolutely, totally stunned.