Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

violent death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2010 09:29

I have just received the death certificate of my GG Grandmother Charlotte Sabourin nee Mowbray, and it says she died a violent death (haemorrhage from rupture of vessel of leg from a blow thereon). The information was received from the coroner. The date of death is 25th September 1866 at 3 Harts Lane, in Bethnal Green.
I have emailed the LMA to see if there was a coroners record but they say they do not exist now. They directed me to the British Library for newspaper accounts. I have emailed both them and the local history society at Tower Hamlets.
Does anyone have any more advice about how I can find out what happened to her. I have searched the criminal records on Ancestry but found nothing for her husband Charles.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jan 2010 10:08

Try the local library covering Bethnal Green, they may have the newspapers for the time on film.
I've been lucky on two occasions in getting reports on the Coroner's inquest, but these were in the 1920s.

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2010 11:00

Thank you Brian. I wonder if they are contactable by email? Would probably come under Tower Hamlets I think. Will give it a try.

Pat

Ken

Ken Report 13 Jan 2010 12:02

It may just be that she was run over by a horse and cart, but seems very interesting all the same, good luck.

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2010 17:12

Thank you all so much.

I am on the case Jonesey!

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2010 17:27

Ken
I did have a death certificate with just that as a cause of death. "Run over by handsome cab".
I think if it was accidental then the death cert would say so. It may be that she was found dead and no one knows what happened.

Pat