Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can some one help me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 13 Jan 2010 18:28

I am new to this and i am trying to add people to my family tree but everytime i seem to it says error on page? I can get as far as clicking 'add mother/father' but then when i go to type any names in it just says error on page?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Jan 2010 19:03

This has happened to me before but I tried again later and it worked

Heather

Heather Report 13 Jan 2010 23:05

Steph, check out Tips for New Members and get yourself a better program than this one. Family Tree Maker 2010 is only £30 on amazon at the moment and includes I think 6 months membership to ancestry.co.uk. Bargain and a tree program that is much better.

LizRees

LizRees Report 13 Jan 2010 23:10

And you can also get the Family Tree Maker software, including the free 6 months' basic Ancestry membership that Heather has described, if you collect Tesco Clubcard vouchers! (£15 worth of vouchers).

I've just done this to update my old FTM software and get the Ancestry membership.

I agree with Heather that it's sensible to get your own independent family tree software.

Liz.

Christine

Christine Report 15 Jan 2010 20:34

I agree that its a good thing to have an independent tree programme, but if you are new to this, persevering with your tree on here will put you in touch with other members (through hot matches and tree searches) who may be related to you. If you put all the info on here first, you will be able to use it to upload your gedcom onto your independent programme when you get it. You will probably find that the "error on page" message will have disappeared next time you log in.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Jan 2010 07:11

The GR site can appear a tad finnicky especially as it needs sufficient space within your browser cache to manage the files it uses, in order to work correctly.

Try clearing your browser cache, otherwise known as your internet temp files, on a regularly basis. You may find this helps.