Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certificate info - what next please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 20:25

Hello,

I have had a death certificate for Charles Johnson died in April 1866. The informant was a Edward Johnson in attendance.

I have 2 questions about this - why doesn't the death certificate mention his wife who was alive at the time (e.g husband of ....) and any ideas as to what I should look at next?

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards

Rachel

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Jan 2010 20:40

Early death certs are a bit "sexist" usually. Women are described as "wife of ..." under occupation and men have their occupation showing under occupation.

Frustrating in some cases ...

Jill

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 20:47

I am not sure who Edward was. I have found all of Charles Johnson's children on the census' and so am guessing that Edward may have been his brother or uncle? Charles was born in 1807 so its a bit hard to find other relatives/siblings etc. Any help would be welcome.

I have found that Charles' wife (Ellen) died in 1902 and was not buried with her husband Charles; and that there is no inscription on Charles' gravestone. Any ideas as to why there would be no inscription or why Charles and Ellen are not buried in the same plot?

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 21:12

Here is Charles on the 1841 census born in Sutton Lancashire:

Charles Johnson 34
Ellen Johnson 30
Thomas Johnson 11
John Johnson 4
Edward Johnson 1
Robert Johnson 29
Ellen Johnson 4
Margart Durdam 12

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 21:21

Corrine,

Thank you for your replies but I don't think that they are the right ones. Charles and his family lived in Thatto Heath, Sutton area.

Kind regards

Rachel

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 21:35

Yes - that's the family. Thank you. I wonder what happened to Edward - did he marry only I can't find him on later census'

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 21:48

Ah - I will send for Ellen's birth certificate - this will tell me the names of both parents - thank you :)

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 21:58

Excellent - thank you very much. I will now be able to send for his marriage certificate and see where he was living - he could be the Edward Johnson who was the informant of Charles' death.

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Jan 2010 22:08

Thank you very much for your help. Edward's change of occupation fits in with another of his family who became grocers and lived in Elephant land - thank you!