Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What did she die of?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 14 Jan 2010 11:37

I've just received a copy of my grandmother's death cert, she died in Ware Workhouse at the age of 43 but I can't make out the cause of death. It looks like 1. Valoulae Disease 2. Exhaustion. Does anyone know what the first one is? I can't make out what the first letter is supposed to be. I had hoped that the death cert would have one of her children as the informant but it's the master of the workhouse.

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jan 2010 11:51

might be connected?

valvulae conniventes
Type: Term

Synonyms: circular folds of small intestine, under fold

or valvular the heart valves

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 14 Jan 2010 12:10

Could be valvular heart disease, this would make her exhausted possibly?? My daughter has heart problems and this makes her very tired all the time.

Valvular stenosis. This occurs when a valve opening is smaller than normal due to stiff or fused leaflets. The narrowed opening may make the heart work very hard to pump blood through it. This can lead to heart failure and other symptoms (see below). All four valves can be stenotic (hardened, restricting blood flow); the conditions are called tricuspid stenosis, pulmonic stenosis, mitral stenosis or aortic stenosis.

Valvular insufficiency. Also called regurgitation, incompetence or "leaky valve", this occurs when a valve does not close tightly. If the valves do not seal, some blood will leak backwards across the valve. As the leak worsens, the heart has to work harder to make up for the leaky valve, and less blood may flow to the rest of the body. Depending on which valve is affected, the conditioned is called tricuspid regurgitation, pulmonary regurgitation, mitral regurgitation or aortic regurgitation.

Liz

Liz Report 14 Jan 2010 12:13

That could be it, just my luck to find her in the workhouse with no family informant and a registrar who can't write clearly! Not as hard as it must have been for her though.