Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

which census allows you to trace via addresses?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2010 16:45

I have been told that you can trace ancestors through a census if you know their address at the time, is this true?

Mick

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jan 2010 16:54

You can trace this way on 1881 and 1911 census (1911 you need to use a 1st initial). You can look at addresses on other censuses but it's a bit more af a long haul, unless you have a very small village or similar!
Jan

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2010 17:02

Thank you Dave and Jan for your advice and prompt responses. Jan, I am also from brum (Kings Norton) .

Mick

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jan 2010 17:18

Spooky! I live in west heath!!
You didn't give a time frame, assume you know you can search electoral registers from about 1919?
Jan

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2010 17:31

Yes , I went to Birmingham Library on friday and found a bit of info using the electoral registers, thanks. i'm a newbie to all this ( i only started my tree in November) so any advice is most appreciated

Mick

P.S I live in cotteridge actually , but spend too much time trying to explain where that is , so its easier to say Kings Norton.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jan 2010 17:46

You can search by address 1841 to 1911 on Findmypast but you would need credits to view the results

Can be done on Ancestry but takes ages and you would need to know the location pretty well before looking at the enumeration sheets

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2010 18:12

Thanks for the info. Will have a look tomorrow
Mick

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jan 2010 19:35

Michael, just a quick comment - have you noticed that the library has indexes for post-1858 wills? Have only found one or two (not a very affluemt family!!) but the pre-1858 ones I got previously from the National Archives have been a godsend in establishhing family relationships.
jan

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jan 2010 19:45

I havent gone so deep as to look at things like wills yet. i am only looking at census's and electoral lists at the moment. My tree has got peoples names and D.O.B's , in some cases they have year of marriage and death, but as i've only just started , I wanted to get the easy stuff sorted first. I will bear it in mind for the future though. I might have a quick look on Friday after work to see how easy it is to peruse through.

Mick

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jan 2010 20:08

Dead simple, it's by year and name.
I'd check out the family history workshops too, I've been to a couple and they are very useful.
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 16 Jan 2010 20:15

Have you tried this site www.midlandshistoricaldata.org It has ER's from 1912 to 1950 plus Kelly's Directories & other info, it is not a free site but isnt't too expensive, I have found it very useful

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Jan 2010 20:27

Aha! Jean, your secret is out!
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jan 2010 13:47

Brummiejan

No I am not the Jean who does look ups for ER's

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jan 2010 16:31

Oops! Good tip though, didn't know about that site.
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 17 Jan 2010 18:07

You are welcome, it is well worth having a look

Vicki

Vicki Report 17 Jan 2010 22:06

The genealogist website lets you do lookups according to street name, then house number - will also take wildcards & partial addresses x Census date & also it covers the 1881 Census. It is a subs site, costs around £40 per 6 months, but the BMD searches & print facilities are excellent as well. When you get onto the correct census page, it allows you to go forwards & back & view all the results for the village, or town area, so you can check on whole neighbourhoods.
thegenealogist.co.uk

Cheers, Vicki

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jan 2010 00:23

Vicki

you can also do that (check back and forward on pages) on ancestry, and also on fmp

......... in fact I believe you can do that on every site EXCEPT this one!

sylvia