Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

making an album

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 18 Jan 2010 15:41

Wondered if anybody has made an family album of all the information they have gathered. I'd like to keep all the information in some type of book form but not sure which would be the best way to do this. I've just looked on Amazon and they seem to have quite a few family history books you can buy for this purpose, but I think they seem a bit pricey.The only way I can think of is to buy a folder with the plastic pockets but wondered if anybody else had any tips or ideas on this subject.

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 18 Jan 2010 16:15

I bought a folder and sleeves from S & N genealogy, they do long ones which hold the marriages certs,as I found some don't fit in in A4 size. I've now got a rather large collection of folders, for birth marriage and death certs. plus census info and wills. It's taking over my bedroom!

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 18 Jan 2010 19:23

I've found it helpful to use the file and plastic sleeves method, keeping the families in separate files. That makes it easier to take a relevant file when visiting family.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 18 Jan 2010 19:29

You can buy spring binders from My History for about £16 each and they look like a real book, you just bend it right back and slip all your sheets in, then it just snaps forward again and grips all the papers. You can get them with Family History printed on the front and spine in gold or the plain ones are cheaper.

I bought one each for my mum and dad at Christmas and I set it out with the full history of generations for each of them, lots of pictures, certificates and information.

I think they are well worth the money either as you want to do yourself of for a nice and unusual present.

Marilyn

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 Jan 2010 19:40

I am in the process of outputting the family tree from myheritage.

I have put all the info and notes and 'linked' photos and certificates within the database (it is free).

Output to word document and you can rearrange the page to suit. I have put footnotes as references (born .......... insert footnote 1 = birth certificate footnote 2 = marriage cert). These footnotes are numbered from 1 so I have numbered relevant docs as 1 upwards to where they relate and filed at the end. As this is from the Ancesters of " " output, I have then outputed each sibling as a family sheet numbered to the end ( phew!!!! it makes sense to me anyway!!!!).

In word it iseasy to amend and add stories where you would like them in text boxes and pictures of areas lived/medals etc. First have as much info as possible in the database.

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 18 Jan 2010 19:45

thanks so much everybody for the tips and ideas. I'm wanting to keep one for myself but mainly I want one to give as an xmas present for my brother next year. So I might do the folders for myself and look into Marilyn's suggestion from "My History" that sounds really good.

Karen that's exactly what I was toying with, doing them on the computer using different coloured paper with borders and such, so thanks for the input think I'll go with that.

thanks again
Chris

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 19 Jan 2010 09:45

Thanks Barbara, that sounds interesting. Must admit I had to read it twice but there again that's not unusual for me. I think it becomes clear once you start putting it in to practice so I may have a look at My Heritage later.

Just off into town to look around for folders/papers etc., Probably won't find what I'm lookiing for, where I live it's not the best place for shopping for anything but still the walk will burn a few more calories.

Marilyn the spring binders from My Heritage look great, especially the gold priinted ones. Did you get the acid free paper too?

bye for now
Chris

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 19 Jan 2010 14:05

Hi Christine

No I didnt get the acid free paper, just a good quality one from Staples.

I got two Family Tree Spring Binders, one blue, one red, and printed out a tree on several pages, each page says go to page 2, page 3 etc., (printed out from Family Tree Maker). I put in a descendant report and an ancestor report, copies of certficates, any relevant information regarding the ancestors of mum or dad, a family fact sheet for each family showing the relationship, also a complete list of each person in the tree and their relationship to my mum and dad, and photographs of as many people as I could and things associated with them. They were really pleased with them, they had pictures of close relatives in who they didnt even know. I was also able to put a `claim to fame`, as I found two people quite well known who were related to each of them.

It was OH`s idea but I am pleased he came up with it, the books looked brillant and gave them both an idea of the work which had gone into the family tree and someting interesting to read. Took about amonth to complete them with generations back to 16th century insome cases.

Best idea OH ever had lol!!

Marilyn

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 19 Jan 2010 14:57

Thanksk Marilyn, that sounds brilliant, hope mine turns out as well. I'm glad to say I have the Family Tree Maker too, so should be able to do the same.

I've just ordered the Spring Back Binder from My History. Couldn't make my mind up at first, the red caught my eye straight away and then I changed my mind at the last minute to the blue, thought the gold lettering looked to stand out a bit more on the blue, but that could just have been the image on the website. I might order myself the red one later if you think it looked good. The blue one will be a present for my brother.

I also ordered 100 pages of the acid free paper, thought I might as well go the whole hog. I don't have a Staples near me anyway and it was a bit cheaper if you ordered the two together.

thanks for recommending it.
Chris

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 19 Jan 2010 15:03

Christine, I got blue for my dad, red for mum, both look good.

Good luck with putting it together, take your time with it, its worth it in the end, I think you will be pleased.

Marilyn

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 19 Jan 2010 21:31

Thanks for the blurb.com Mike, just had a look and downloaded the programme. I've never heard of it before, so thank you. Just wondering, have you actually published and ordered a book from them.?

Yorkshire Lass

Yorkshire Lass Report 20 Jan 2010 18:06

wow can't believe it!!! only ordered my spring back folder yesterday afternoon and it was here by 11.00am.

It looks good too, so pleased with it, thanks again Marilyn. I can't wait to get started with it, but I'm afraid I have still loads to do on my family tree before I can start planning the album. Anyway don't need it till next xmas so I'm sure I'll have it done by then lol

Chris