Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lost on census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 21 Jan 2010 19:10

When unable to locate a family on a census, searched for the address they had given on the previous census - they were still there with a mis-transcribed surname. Address search may help to find elusive relatives.
Liz

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jan 2010 19:21

If you have lost a child or two on a census - and they're still alive on the next one - try looking down the road!
Found my g grandmother at another house - researched the occupants, and they were her great aunt & uncle!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Jan 2010 21:26

On some of the censuses you cannot do address searches but I found one badly mistranscribed family once by looking for their neighbours!

Jill

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2010 21:56

Jill
I did that and found my family had been transcribed with the neighbours' surname, so I was unlikely to find them in the usual way.

Gwyn

Jean

Jean Report 21 Jan 2010 22:58

I am searching the marriage of Violet H Evans -
maiden name born in 1900 at Somerset Compton Dundon
34 Edmondstown in Ystradyfodwg Wales.
she lived for a time in Weston Super Mare where she gave birth to Valerie Jean in September 1938.

Any information would be greatly appreciated regards Jean from Burnham on Sea

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Jan 2010 22:59

Jean

This is not a lookup thread

Not a good idea to add a request to another thread.

Maureen

Julia

Julia Report 22 Jan 2010 02:10

Hi All
Gwynn, it was the opposite for us, I found my family had grown considerably because their neighbours had been added into their family, it certainly showed up whe other researching the tree hadnt checked carefully as these additions appear in extended family trees.

I had the mystery of my paternal ggf and his entire family disappearing completely for one census. However, I have recently found out that they had returned to the west coast of Ireland to see if they could make a go of life there again. They reappeared in the next English census.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2010 03:45

I always try searching on forenames only and birth dates only ...... forename of a child with forenames of parents

I found my Schofield gr grandfather under Silufield that way.

sylvia

Maurice

Maurice Report 22 Jan 2010 10:24

A kind lady Michelle on Genes found my great grandparents on the 1881 census,after i looked for about 9 months, Samuel Williams was on the census as William Samuel his wife as Maria Samuel,looking at who lived next door was the same address lo and behold there was my grt grt grandfather an another child.
Maurice.