Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 23 Jan 2010 18:36

Its been said before (frequently), but, before posting a query about something, try googling it first. Its amazing what you can find.

Often those helping you find the info will google as their first point of call (or Wikipedia, also great for research).

Its so much fun to find out stuff yourself, and you may spot links that someone else researching cold just wouldn't spot.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 23 Jan 2010 19:16

Helen , I couldn't agree more with your statement. I do it all the time.

I had an ancestor that went to work for the Hudson Bay Company, by putting that into Google I was able to access their on-line records and found one for my gt uncle. Then by putting 'land donation and oregan' into google found a treasure trove of records and for £6 downloaded a 13 page document detailing his land claim and it's geograhpical position from 1853

Googlingly yours Jennifer

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 23 Jan 2010 19:54

..................and if you have the new IE8 installed, anything you highlight brings up a menu for google search, blogger, maps, translations etc.
Saves having to cut & paste.
Lots of little differences like that in IE8 but it works well with Vista.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2010 22:37

It is absolutely the best tip...and if you google a surname, do keep looking through the pages , because you are just as likely to find something 20 pages in as on the first page :)

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 1 Feb 2010 16:52

nudge

once again I've found info for someone in a matter of seconds by googling, probably they could have found the answer themselves in less time than it took to type their request!