Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winifred Frances Dodd born 13 August 1900 Edmonton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jan 2010 13:34

On the 1901 Census living with parents John and Annie in Edmonton.. Annie dies in 1902 and children either sent to Canada, adopted or disappeared.

In 1911 Census Winifred Dod (one D) is living with the Durant family described as niece, not exactly the correct relationship but near enough again in Edmonton. Durant family move to Bournemouth about 1918 (have traced them and got certs) but Winifred has disappeared, have looked for her marriage, emigration to Canada (although I am in touch with relatives out there and they don't know where she is). Just wondered if anyone else could sugest how to go forward.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Jan 2010 14:00

Have you searched death records?

Have you checked the CWGC site? They have a section for civilian deaths ...

Jill

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jan 2010 14:16

Thanks for your suggestion I have searched on Ancestry under variations of Dod, Dodd, etc with no luck. I tried the CWGC but couldn't find the part for civilian deaths.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jan 2010 15:13

On the search page on the Commonwealth War Graves site where it asks for Force - Civilian is the bottom of that list.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jan 2010 15:18

There is this marriage (I don't know London so don't know if the area is near Edmonton or not):-

Name: Winifred F Dodd
Spouse: Albert J. Oswald
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1937
Registration district: Brentford
Registration county (inferred): Middlesex
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 450

There is also this one in Edmonton but there is an extra initial so may not be her:-

Name: Winifred I F Dodd
Spouse: Burton C. Duke
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1941
Registration district: Edmonton
Registration county (inferred): Middlesex
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 2614

Kath. x

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jan 2010 21:48

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your suggestions, I have already sent for Oswald and it is not the right one, I could try Duke, although the first initial is I not F but may be worth sending for cert asking for a reference cheque of John as father.