Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help- Scottish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 25 Jan 2010 19:07

Hi,
Please can someone help me.I`ve been trying to find my family and got very lucky through another member as she was able to give me my great grandparent details but now I am stuck as i`ve been trying to find out who my gggrandparents were but can`t get any information through birth/marriage records because the records only seem to cover England and Wales but as my ancestors were Scottish they are not on them records, I even tried putting my fathers details in which I know to be correct but can find no records of his birth again he was born in Scotland.Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I would go about obtaining Scottish records PLEASE.I`m beginning to think the only way is to travel to Scotland and go to the records office.!!!

Many Thanks A Frustrated Kate Dorman

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 25 Jan 2010 19:22

Kathryn

You need Scotlands People

Here is the link

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

Not used myself, but i think you can search the records for free, but you have to pay to view the details etc.

Someone will correct me if i have not got it right.

George

Cathy

Cathy Report 25 Jan 2010 21:33

Hi Kathryn,

I could search scotlandspeople for you if you like but as George says you would need credits to see the actual records.

Unlike Wales and England BMD record , the Scottish records have so much detail on them.
It costs £6 for 30 credits - 1 credit = name / year / place and then if it looks like the right record another 5 credits will give you the complete record.

This means for instance if it's a marriage you are looking for you get the full date and place of wedding, the full names of the bride and groom, both sets of parents names and names of witnesses. Oh yes, plus you will find out if any of the parents are deceased!
Not bad for just over a quid a time!

Cathy

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Jan 2010 08:58

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much George and Cathy you have helped me soooooooooo much with your information it was exactly spot on and i am now managing to find out so much i really can`t thank you enough.And Cathy thank you for your kind offer to look for me but i have joined the scotlands people site and it is absolutly fantastic only little problem is working out some of the writing lol but soooooo worth every little penny.Once again thank you so much my quest has come on in leaps and bounds now.
Kind Regards
Kate Dorman xxx

Cathy

Cathy Report 26 Jan 2010 10:03

That's lovely Kathryn,
I'm so glad you've gone on scotlandspeople...it's a really good site. I wish they would come with a subscription though I've spent a fortune over the last few months.

There were a couple of entries I couldn't make out and when I contacted them a very kind lady called Roslyn got the one rescanned and sent it to me and told me the words I couldn't make out on the other one!
So if you have any problems desiphering them just send them an email.

I wish you luck with your tree and if I can be of any help let me know.

Kind regards,

Cathy

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 26 Jan 2010 11:31

Kathryn
Glad to have helped, so you can progress, after reading your enthusiastic response i am beginning to think i wish i had some Scottish ancestors LOL

Good luck

George

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 28 Jan 2010 11:15

Wow Cathy,
You really are a mine of information.There are a couple of certs that I can`t make out at all and on another 1 i can`t work out what my great grandfathers occupation was (old writing ) but now you`ve told me that i will be e-mailing them poste haste !!!! Once again thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your help.I agree with you on the subscription i`ve already spent a bomb lol but then again if the scots can make a pretty penny they will !!! Only joking.It really it a invaluable site for me as my fathers family were scottish through and through and i know i still have living relatives in scotland so my serch continues.Good luck with the rest of yours.
Regards Kate Dorman