Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry free /convicts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 27 Jan 2010 22:50

I was told if I went on Ancestry clicked convicts I would be able to see free but I cant see where to put convicts in please can anyone help

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Jan 2010 22:55

Do you mean Australian Convicts or the Criminal Records?

Sidami

Sidami Report 27 Jan 2010 22:57

maybe both Maureen.
But I don't have any names I was just going to do a search

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jan 2010 22:59

From the homepage under Browse Records click on "all Ancestry records".

When the next page comes up click on the left hand side on "Court, Land, Wills and Financial".

When the next page comes up look under "Title" and scroll about a third of the way down the page and you should find "Australian Convict Index".

I have found that Ancestry is much more difficult to navigate than it used to be.

EDIT - you'll also find the criminal registers in the same place.

Kath. x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Jan 2010 23:02

Ancestry is very long winded on search.

I go the long way round

Home Page
look at box heading Featured records on Ancestry and then click on view all new records
Look at right hand side of page and scroll down to List all databases - its in very small print - click on that

then scroll down to the search box

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Jan 2010 09:03

there is also another way in. On the right hand side of the home page it says immigration and emmigration