Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great Relationship Calculator

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 3 Feb 2010 15:45

I found this calculator which as easy as clicking a mouse. Even complicated relationships.

http://stevemorse.org/relation/calculator.html

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 3 Feb 2010 16:04

Hi Beverley..... Tried your calculator.....
My mother`s half brother married his stepmothers neice.... Who is my Mother`s 1st. cousin. Thus making cousin also her sister-in-law too. How do I make the system work to calculate both.? Hope that makes sense.!
Thank you

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Feb 2010 21:06

That's real cool.
I've tried it out and bookmarked it.

Trevor

Trevor Report 3 Feb 2010 22:54

best site ive seen thanks have bookmarked it
trevor

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 4 Feb 2010 00:17

Please, how do you bookmark it? I mean an address within a thread. Or do you bookmark the thread?

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 4 Feb 2010 00:45

Excellent Beverley

Thats a great quick way, far better than trying to work out from any chart, thanks.

Meg you need to copy and paste the link into your browser search bar , if you do not know how to copy and paste, then just type the link in and search.

when the page opens , you will have an option somewhere on your tool bar at the top of the page to bookmark the web site depending on what browser you use ?? windows explorer , mozilla firefox etc ?

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Feb 2010 05:47

Hi Margaret

I found complicated relationships better in two stages. Someone contacted me who's third cousin four times removed was my g.g.g. uncle. I'm sure it has it's limits but it works for most.

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Feb 2010 07:34

Yes, bookmarking (Firefox) or adding to favourites (in Internet Explorer) is simply a case of clicking on Bookmarks or Favourites when the page is opening then clicking on "Add".

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 4 Feb 2010 12:26

many thanks - only yesterday we got a photograph of a distant relative whoh bore a considerable family resemblance - and with the aid of this I was able to discover he is a second cousin once removed. Definitely bookmarked for the future!

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 4 Feb 2010 20:14

Hi Beverley, thanks for this. I just checked to find out what my father's sister's daughter's daughter was (thought it was my second cousin) but found out it's my 1st cousin once removed. Do you know what second cousins (and third cousins etc) are in that case?
Thanks again

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Feb 2010 21:06

Hi Silverbirch

Experimenting with the calculator, your father's father's father's son's son's son brings it to a second cousin. That surprised me too. I thought for years that my mother's sister's daughter's son was my second cousin but have now found out he is a first cousin once removed.

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 4 Feb 2010 23:11

Thanks for that, Beverley. Amazing! So a second cousin is actually much more distant whereas "1st cousin once removed", although much closer (and in my case, known to me) sounds more remote. Well, now I know!

Beverley

Beverley Report 5 Feb 2010 05:46

Hopefully this will explain the 'once removed' to a lot of people. I never understood it myself but when you can relate it to someone you know it makes more sense.

Julie

Julie Report 5 Feb 2010 07:56

I have 2 bookmarked and out of them the Steve Morse one is the best

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 12 Apr 2010 15:43

Hi, Although it copes with step relationships it doesn't seem to do half ones. E.g. I wanted to look up my great great grandfather's first wife's son (I'm descended from his second wife). It allows you to put in "great great grandfather's spouse's child" but that would be if the spouse already had a child (so a step relationship and not a blood one) . Does anyone know of any that have this option?

JanieH

JanieH Report 12 Apr 2010 16:54

Thanks for this useful tip. I have just tried it and I also clicked on 'my other webpages' and was able to find a marriage in US I had been looking for. So now I know when my 'first cousin once removed' got married in Manhattan - brilliant!!