Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Houghton"? at St. Ives, Huntingdonshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tampa

Tampa Report 3 Feb 2010 22:36

I found an infant that may be a relative among scores of individuals and families listed in part of the 1841 UK census of St. Ives. The page she is on is one of 9 pages, ALL of which have only one piece of identification at the top - "Houghton".

Given the vast variety and number of people there, it must be some kind of institution but it doesn't make sense that it is a hospital because whole families are included. There are no individual addresses, but otherwise there are the usual details of the 1841 census.

Can anyone please tell me what "Houghton" was?

I've looked at Poor Law establishments but that did not seem to be the answer. Please enlighten me!
Thanks,
Tampa

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Feb 2010 22:41

It was/is a village or hamlet.
Houghton Parish Page
7 Nov 2005 ... The parish of Houghton lies immediately west of St Ives and has its southern base upon the River Ouse, and its northern apex upon the road ...

Cemeteries - Census - Church History - Church Records
www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HUN/Houghton/index.html - Cached

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2010 22:43

Can you give the name and age of the child so we can have a look at the census page?

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2010 22:48

You'll find lots of places on the 1841 and on the 1851 where no addresses are given for people living there

They tend to be quite small places .................. and there would have been NO house numbers, or possibly even street names!

sylvia

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 4 Feb 2010 00:04

I just had a look at the 1841 census for Houghton. The Enumerators Schedule states it is for "All the Parish of Houghton". I see it is all on nine pages of images. On page 8 & 9 it says Houghton Hall. Maybe it was a stately home or mansion.

Tampa

Tampa Report 4 Feb 2010 02:31

Hi, Thanks for the replies . . .
The infant is a girl named Elizabeth Ablett c1838 and is shown age 2. Those listed around her do not appear to be related at all and are men of a variety of ages and no matching surnames. At first I thought she was a patient in a hospital because of that and the probability that she died before the next census.

The reason I was searching for her is that I was trying to determine a connection to this family of James Ablett c1803 and wife Elizabeth c1817:
1851 UK Census:
Name: James Ablett
Estimated Birth Year: about 1803
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Swavesley, Cambridgeshire, England
Civil Parish: Kings Ripton
County/Island: Huntingdonshire
Registration district: Huntingdon
Sub registration district: Ramsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Household schedule number: 17
Household Members:
Name Age
James Ablett 48 [Ag Labourer]
Elizabeth Ablett 34 [c1817 at Hartford, Huntingdonshire, England]
Sarah Ablett 9 [c1842 at Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire, England]
Henery Ablett 7 [c1844 ditto ]
Elizabeth Ablett 2 [c1849 ditto ]

They also appear in the 1861 census with two more daughters.

So, why search for Elizabeth c1838, you ask? Because a search of the IGI locates these records:
IGI Search Results for: Huntingdon, England, British Isles
Father: James Ablett, Mother: Elizabeth
With or without Batch Number: C135417
1. ELIZABETH -: Female Christening: 22 JUL 1838 Kings-Ripton, Huntingdon, England
2. SARAH -: Female Christening: 19 JUL 1846 Kings-Ripton, Huntingdon, England
3. ELIZABETH -: Female Christening: 06 MAY 1849 Kings-Ripton, Huntingdon, England
4. MARTHA -: Female Christening: 21 SEP 1856 Kings-Ripton, Huntingdon, England
5. MARY -: Female Christening: 21 SEP 1856 Kings-Ripton, Huntingdon, England
Notes:
1 Henry b1843 is missing from this list.
2 Sarah’s Christening is about 4 years after her birth.

The first christening record seems to link to the others - hence my looking into the 1841 census.

Have a look if you have access - Elizabeth is on the 7the page of the 9 for Houghton. What would you think of the findings?

Again, thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Tampa

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Feb 2010 03:20

Could this be her? On BVRI:

ABBLET, Elizabeth Christening
Christening Date: 22 Jul 1838 Recorded in: Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire, England
Father: James ABBLET
Mother: Elizabeth
Source: FHL Film 1040747 Dates: 1727 - 1877

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Feb 2010 03:27

IGI has these children of James & Elizabeth in Kings-Ripton, Huntingdonshire:

1. ELIZABETH - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 22 JUL 1838 Kings-Ripton, , Huntingdon, England

2. MARTHA - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 21 SEP 1856 Kings-Ripton, , Huntingdon, England

3. MARY - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 21 SEP 1856 Kings-Ripton, , Huntingdon, England

4. ELIZABETH - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 06 MAY 1849 Kings-Ripton, , Huntingdon, England

5. SARAH - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 19 JUL 1846 Kings-Ripton, , Huntingdon, England

I would say the first Elizabeth died but why is she not with the family in 1841?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Feb 2010 03:35

The list on IGI seems to be only females. I have come across this before where males and females are registered seperately and only one register is recorded on IGI. Henry's christening is on BVRI:

ABLITT, Henry Christening
Christening Date: 19 Jul 1846 Recorded in: Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire, England
Father: James ABLITT
Mother: Elizabeth
Source: FHL Film 1040747 Dates: 1727 - 1877

Same date as Sarah's.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Feb 2010 03:44

There's a James & Eliz'th Ablett on the 41 census in Kings-Ripton. He's 25 meaning 25-29, she's 20 meaning 20-24. He's not born in county.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Feb 2010 03:50

For reference purposes

1841 Census

Name: Elizabeth Ablett
Estimated birth year: abt 1839
Where born: Huntingdonshire, England

Civil parish: Houghton
Hundred: Hurstingstone
County/Island: Huntingdonshire

Registration district: St Ives
Sub-registration district: St Ives

John Whetham 20 Millwright, not b. in county
Samuel Parmer 20 Millwright, not b. in county
James Wilson 25 Millwright, not b. in county
Edward Earl 70 Carpenter, b.Huntingdonshire
Charlott White 7 b. Huntingdonshire
Elizabeth Ablett 2

These 6 are a separate household, but in the same house/building as the following:-

Name Age
Fanney Earl 35 not born in county, ca 1806, Schoolmistress
James Earl 15 b. in Huntingdonshire
William Earl 13 b.in Huntingdonshire
Edward Earl 11 b.in Huntingdonshire

I wonder if this has some bearing on why Charlotte White and Elizabeth Ablett are apparently in the same household as Edward Earl, and what his connection is to Fanny?

Like Margaret, I would assume that the baptism of a second Elizabeth in 1849 means that the first Elizabeth b. ca 1838 had died before that date

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Feb 2010 03:53

from ancestry

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

Name: Elizabeth Abblet
Birth Date: abt 1838
Christening Date: 22 Jul 1838
Christening Place: Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire, England
Father's Name: James Abblet
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Feb 2010 03:53

sorry, duplicate posting

sylvia

Tampa

Tampa Report 4 Feb 2010 04:32

Yes, I had much of the detail like Henry's baptism etc. but felt my posting was long and reluctant to include all the details.

What I did miss was the christening of Elizabeth because I failed to check for her using the alternate spelling "ABBLET". Thanks for that - it confirms what my hope was . . . . to connect the first Elizabeth c1838 to the parents James and Elizabeth.

Still, the questions remain about why she is not with her family in the 1841, AND, indeed, whether her parents are the couple found in Kings Ripton in the 1841. Given the large disparity in the ages (compared to the 1851), I was skeptical but there seems to be no other alternative.

I'm resigned to the idea that we may never have an answer to the first question.

BTW, I am a descendant of Sarah Ablett b1841.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Feb 2010 04:43

Tampa

Have you made allowance for the fact that enumerators for the 1841 were supposed to round down ages to the nearest 5 for all over the age of 15?

so that everyone appears to be upto 5 years younger than they really were.

Although, of course (nothing's ever easy in this game!) not every enumerator did as they were supposed to!

Plus ............. many of our ancestors really didn't know quite how old they were, age was not as important to them as it is to us.

sylvia

Thelma

Thelma Report 4 Feb 2010 11:20

It suggests to me that James age in 1851 is wrong.
James Ablett abt 1816 Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire
James Ablett Elizabeth abt 1803 Swavesley, Cambridgeshire, England Head Kings Ripton, Huntingdonshire
James Ablett Elizabeth abt 1812 Swavensey, Cambridgeshire, England Head Hartford, Huntingdonshire

Tampa

Tampa Report 4 Feb 2010 13:51

Hmmmm . . . good thought there SatNav. I was relying on the data in the 1851 since the information generally appears to be sound. Together with the factor of rounding down by the enumerator described by Margaret and Sylvia, this makes sense.

Incidentally, I did check Cambridgeshire Baptisms and there are only two records for a James ABLET/ABBLET/ABLETT:

Cambs. Baptisms:
Year Surname Forenames Age Abode Parents Parish Indicator
1823 ABLET James - ----- s. of Thos. & Elizabh. Doddington *
1820 ABLETT James - ----- s. of Wm. & Mary Doddington *

They don't exactly match up with any of the census dates either, but then, we are dealing with baptism, not birth.

So, again, thanks for the help.
Tampa