Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsMac

MrsMac Report 4 Feb 2010 19:37

Everytime i find a reff no for a certificate do i have to buy it to find out more.Or am i just being a ding bat.Is there a way of getting the info off it any other way please.

MrsMac

MrsMac Report 4 Feb 2010 19:57

Ok thanks all i know is york 1926 ive so much to look at it will cost a fortune for all ones i want lol but i do thank you for replying reguards Marion

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Feb 2010 20:21

sometimes you might find the actual marriage register on line, e.g. on Ancestry there are quite a few, mainly London but there are some other areas too, this will be the same info as on the cert

the same isn't true for births as the baptism register is exactly that, i.e. a record of a baptism not a birth

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Feb 2010 20:34

Always worth checking the BDMshare site - I can never remember the actual name of the site but it's something like that. People post their certificate details to the site for others to see.

Also, any unusual names - check for them on the Guild of One Name Studies. Gooners are happy to help.

Don't forget to check on this site for possible matches too. I share info with a cousin's daughter on one side of my tree and that keeps the costs down as we take turns to purchase certs etc.

Once you're a bit further back it does become easier as you are more likely to make contact with others who share the same ancestors.

And, one final tip. I opened a number 2 account at the bank and I pay £10 per month into that by DD. So, one cert a month at least and now and again, 2 certs. As it happens I've not used it for ages as I have been rummaging through Ancestry's London parish records instead - but if it spreads the costs then it all helps.

Jill

MrsMac

MrsMac Report 4 Feb 2010 21:02

Thanks everybody and jill good idea,s ive got lots of relitives in west ham etc so that might be useful my grandad was born there.ive been off for a long time due to health but back now. I was sent alot from people on here so really grateful but i think its nice to own the certifcates aswell.thanks all Marion

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Feb 2010 21:07

I'm happy enough with a photocopy cert - or a scanned one Marion. If I totted up what it would have cost me for the ones that I had shared with me - or the ones from Ancestry - I'd be bankrupt! LOL

Oh - and I love the ones from Ancestry as you see their real signatures.

Jill

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 4 Feb 2010 21:16

Jill

Please tell me that you don't really pay £19.99 for a certificate via Ancestry.

If so, you have been robbed.

A genuine copy of the original can be ordered from most register offices for just £7. Signatures and all.

And if the criteria you specify are not 100% correct, you pay nothing.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Feb 2010 21:29

No - £10 per month into the bank account. £7 for a cert. Every 2/3 months there's more than £14 in there so 2 certs.

It wouldn't break the normal bank account if I did order more than one cert but by doing it this way I limit myself and pace myself a bit. As my son says "They're all dead mum, what's the rush?" And he's right.

The marriage certs from Ancestry are the ones from the LMA records - copies of the originals - not copies written by someone in an office somewhere.

Jill