Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whole family missing from 1871 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Feb 2010 04:29

Hi, i'm looking for information on my Wilkins ancestors, I cant find any of the family on the 1871 census (tried surname variants), any ideas as to how I can find them?
Its possible they could be in the Western Road Workhouse in 1871 (the father, John, is in a lunatic asylum on the 1881 census), are these records available under the normal census search?
Wilkins family in 1861 living St Martin, Birmingham - John 30, Elizabeth 29, James 8, Jane 7, Harriet 4, John 2, Ann 1.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2010 04:52

for reference purposes ........... and to confirm this is the family in 1861

1861 Census

1861 England Census

Name: John Wilkins
Estimated birth year: abt 1831
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Elizabeth
Where born: Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Martin
County/Island: Warwickshire

Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Martin

John Wilkins 30 Brewer
Elizabeth Wilkins 29 b.ca 1832, Lincolnshire
James Wilkins 8
Jane Wilkins 7
Harriet Wilkins 4
John Wilkins 2
Ann Wilkins 1

all children born Birmingham

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2010 05:04

so somehow they got missed off

OR their surname has been badly mis-transcribed

OR they were assigned the wrong surname by either the enumerator or transcriber that they are completely hidden!

I've tried searching using the childrens' forenames, no surname, birth year +/5, Warwickshire and mother Elizabeth ......... but no go

sorry!

sylvia

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Feb 2010 05:13

Hi, yes thanks that is the correct family, the only difference is the mother Elizabeth was born near droitwich, the original record is virtually illegible but she is listed as being born droitwich on the 1881 census and that fits with other info I have.
This is just out of curiosity, I have found most of the family on the 1881 census but would like to know what was going on in 1871 - this is the "skeleton" in my family, in 1881 the father John was in a lunatic asylum and later on in the same year his daughter Harriet gave birth to an illegitimate daughter in the workhouse (my g-grandmother).

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Feb 2010 05:20

Hi Sylvia, thanks for having a try, I thought I just couldn't see the wood for the trees.