Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker 2009

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Feb 2010 10:54

If anyone is interested, TWR Computing have some good offers at the moment.

Although they have been superseded by the 2010 packs, they continue to be popular as they do not require a credit card to be submitted in order to start the trial subscriptions to Ancestry

Deluxe - Includes 3 month subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
was £24.95 now £14.95

Platinum - Includes 6 month subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
was £34.95 now £19.95

The tree software is exactly the same. Difference is in the length of the ancestry subscription bundled with it.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 7 Feb 2010 11:43

Nice one ICP.

If however you have your heart set on Family Tree Maker 2010, there is a good deal now with PC World.

Family Tree Maker 2010 Deluxe.
Includes 3 months subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
Now £19.99 from PC World

Family Tree Maker 2010 Platinum.
Includes 6 month subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
Now £29.99 from PC World

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Feb 2010 00:55

Its excellent,

in a word!!

yes

Bob

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 8 Feb 2010 04:26

n

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Feb 2010 11:23

Not done it personally but read on here a little while ago from someone who did just that. They rang Ancestry, explained that they were already a subscriber and they moved their renewal date forward.

Pauline

Pauline Report 8 Feb 2010 16:20

Family Tree Maker 2010 can also be purchased using Tesco clubcard reward vouchers. £15 in vouchers gets you the software and 6 months subscription for ancestry.co.uk.

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 9 Feb 2010 20:24

Hi, is this the best one then or are others (e.g. some on Amazon) equally good? I'd like one with good customisable options. I tried the two-week trial of Ancestry but didn't find it that user-friendly so cancelled. Can you get a family tree maker on its own or are they mostly bundled with Ancestry (If so, hope I'm not "blacklisted" by them!!)?

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 9 Feb 2010 22:21

Yes, you can get the same deal from Amazon.co.uk.
Free delivery available which takes 3-5 days.

Family Tree Maker 2010 Deluxe.
Includes 3 months Essentials subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
Now £19.99 from Amazon.co.uk.

Family Tree Maker 2010 Platinum.
Includes 6 month Essentials subscription to Ancestry.co.uk
Now £29.99 from Amazon.co.uk.

These come with Ancestry but you don't have to sign up to use FTM and don't worry, you won't be blacklisted !

There are several earlier versions of Family Tree Maker available at cheaper prices with correspondingly shorter Essentials membership.
Check out the customer reviews on Amazon.

Be aware that if you are running more up to date Windows software, you may require to download some updates to run the early versions as they are designed to run Windows XP.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Feb 2010 15:37

The Tesco offer does seem good value at the moment as they allow you to use you vouchers in exchange for 4 times the face value for certain goods or services.

However, even with the current 2 points per £1 spent offer running at the moment, you have to spend £750 with them in order to collect your £15 voucher to exchange for FTM.

If you already have vouchers, then great, otherwise not so good.

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 11 Feb 2010 21:43

Hi Frank, thanks for the information. I have Vista Home Basic so perhaps it's best if I stick to a 2010 version to avoid the hassle! Just before I go ahead and order FTM though, does anyone know whether any of the others are any better (e.g. the BBC "Who do you think you are" software)?
Thanks.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 11 Feb 2010 23:25

Hi Silverbirch,

Obviosly the earlier editions will be lacking in some of the upgrades that have been added in recent years.
WDYTYA are getting on a bit now as I have gone from FTM2006 to FTM2010 and even there I found a lot of changes.

You could always try Legacy 7.4 Standard Edition which is free from the following URL.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

It's very American but it may suit you.
Have a look.

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 11 Feb 2010 23:34

Great, thanks very much for that, Frank. I'll definitely check it out and see if it suits my needs. If not, I've got all the info to make a decision now. Much appreciated.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Feb 2010 21:06

n for Sheena

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 13 Feb 2010 06:31

another nudge :) Seriously considering this myself. Just don't know if it's compatible with my mac. I use the 2005 version currently.