Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 7 Feb 2010 14:51

I have found the birth registered. in 1887 then found it re-registered in 1898. Why would this be?

Kathlyn

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Feb 2010 17:22

You shouldn't be able to get both b.certs - they only had one birth so there should be only one b.cert (the corrected, most recent one - they shouldn't issue the uncorrected one, although they might accidentally).

The most usual reason for a re-rego after such a length of time is that the child's father of an illegitimate birth has acknowledged paternity and he didn't on the initial rego, or else he has since married the mother whether or not he did acknowledge initially. In this case, the subsequent marriage legitimizes the birth under various illegitimacy acts, and the parents are required to re-rego the birth, but the penalty was trifling - even in the mid 20th cent, it was only a maximum fine of a couple of quid.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Feb 2010 18:00

It should be impossible to find the reason for re-registration.
I would guess that there was a mistake at the original registration.
Only the corrected certificate should be available.
As far as I am aware legitimizing a birth was not possible before 1927.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 8 Feb 2010 04:21

n

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Feb 2010 14:26

I have a copy of a birth registered in September 1888 for a birth the previous month.
In the end column is written an ammendment added in 1901, so presumably I have a copy of the original cert ?
( He had been wrongly registered as a girl !)

It's difficult to tell if the birth was re registered as he had such a common combination of Welsh names.

Gwyn

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 8 Feb 2010 16:58

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going by the first registration first and hope this will give me the info I want.

Kathlyn

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Feb 2010 19:58

Are you sure that the first child didn't die and then a subsequent child was given the same name?